Problems with mesh clothes on mesh body - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Fashion and Shopping » Problems with mesh clothes on mesh body

Fashion and Shopping Discuss where to buy things, where to find things, favorite designers, etc. DO NOT ADVERTISE.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2016, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Laganum laganum

Ingredients: the dreams that stuff is made of

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Nov 2008
Client: Firestorm
Problems with mesh clothes on mesh body

I finally broke down and bought a Maitreya body, and I love it. I never take it off, even though it means there are (system) clothes I can't wear any more. And it is a disappointment when I buy clothes and find it's only system stuff, but oh well...

Anyway, I have two questions about mesh clothes that are MADE for the Maitreya body. The first is that sometimes the clothes come as an applier, but when I attach the applier and click on it, nothing happens. Nothing at all. What am I doing wrong?

The second is that sometimes there are clothes that are fitmesh and made for the Maitreya body, but when I put them on, there are gaps where I show through. I understand that sometimes I need to apply alpha-bits, and that's fine, but sometimes it's in a place like where a sleeve ends in the middle of my upper arm, or a top ends mid-back, and the alpha-bit would cut out a chunk of my visible body. Am I just out of luck?

Also, why is it that if a top (for example) is fitmesh and made for the Maitreya body, why does it fit with some shapes and not with others? I mean parts of me poke through. And it's sometimes the bigger shapes that are covered better.
Cakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 03/17/2004
If you are buying applier clothes that are meant for Maitreya but not working, you might need the Omega relay or whatever, also make sure you have the layer it is being applied to visible. That can be controlled in the HUD

Body fat and muscle are huge variables when it comes to fitted mesh, even with mesh bodies, wide variations in these can make items fit differently. Body fat just like before can help by puffing things out.
Eboni Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-13-2016, 03:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
GAF

*SLU Supporter*

Goth when goth was. Also, socially unacceptable.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 13, 2008
Business: Beautiful Freak/Club Gothika/House of Rain/Pale Empress/Cursed Events
Client: Firestorm.
Send a message via AIM to bronxelf Send a message via MSN to bronxelf Send a message via Yahoo to bronxelf Send a message via Skype™ to bronxelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakey View Post
I finally broke down and bought a Maitreya body, and I love it. I never take it off, even though it means there are (system) clothes I can't wear any more. And it is a disappointment when I buy clothes and find it's only system stuff, but oh well...

Anyway, I have two questions about mesh clothes that are MADE for the Maitreya body. The first is that sometimes the clothes come as an applier, but when I attach the applier and click on it, nothing happens. Nothing at all. What am I doing wrong?

The second is that sometimes there are clothes that are fitmesh and made for the Maitreya body, but when I put them on, there are gaps where I show through. I understand that sometimes I need to apply alpha-bits, and that's fine, but sometimes it's in a place like where a sleeve ends in the middle of my upper arm, or a top ends mid-back, and the alpha-bit would cut out a chunk of my visible body. Am I just out of luck?

Also, why is it that if a top (for example) is fitmesh and made for the Maitreya body, why does it fit with some shapes and not with others? I mean parts of me poke through. And it's sometimes the bigger shapes that are covered better.
A lot of maitreya clothing is made through trial and error, not a dev kit.It's very easy to get the rigging wrong when you don't have the exact values to work from.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

What a folking boat!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 1 29 2013
Business: the Sail Loft
As to the appliers, I suspect you have to turn on the appropriate layers in the Maitraya HUD.

The good clothes for Lara automatically handle the alpha layers for you. After dealing with the Slink body, this was a big selling point for me. I always try a demo, and if the clothes don't operate the alphas, I don't buy it.

I don't even try demos that state "Beta" or "Experimental". Clothes need to be tailored specifically for the Maitreya shape and alpha system. Just tossing a "Maitraya" label on standard fitmesh doesn't work. Even then, there are spots in the small of the back where even the best makers have problems with slimmer shapes.

Overall though, proper fitmesh for the Maitreya bodies is the best there is. There's one Erratic bikini I didn't buy because it fit so well it looked "painted on", like it was an applier! You will learn with experience who makes the good clothes.

And yeh, if the clothes don't line up with the alphas of the HUD, you're out of luck. There's nothing that can be done in that case. Demos are your friend.
Trifina is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 09-13-2016, 06:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006

Awards: 1
The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakey View Post
Anyway, I have two questions about mesh clothes that are MADE for the Maitreya body. The first is that sometimes the clothes come as an applier, but when I attach the applier and click on it, nothing happens. Nothing at all. What am I doing wrong.
Put on the Maitreya HUD and enable the Fashion layer.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Laganum laganum

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxelf View Post
A lot of maitreya clothing is made through trial and error, not a dev kit.It's very easy to get the rigging wrong when you don't have the exact values to work from.
thanks for that - I had no idea.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Laganum laganum

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post
Put on the Maitreya HUD and enable the Fashion layer.
Will do - thanks!
Old 09-13-2016, 06:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Laganum laganum

My Mood:
I have to say, it's nice to have smart people to ask questions of.
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-14-2016, 05:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Laganum laganum

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifina View Post
The good clothes for Lara automatically handle the alpha layers for you.
THIS was something I didn't know. I wondered why my alphas were turning on "randomly".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifina View Post
there are spots in the small of the back where even the best makers have problems with slimmer shapes.
This was a big help - and quite counterintuitive, at least to me. I have a cropped tank top whose lower edge was disappearing into my back. I made an XXS version of my shape, but that only made it worse. After reading this, I started adding body fat, and got the top to fit. Amazing.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Verti's Minion

*SLU Supporter*

A dozen years of PURPLE!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March 5, 2005
Don't ever buy mesh clothes without trying a demo first. No demo? No sale. It's far less frustrating and far less expensive that way.
Sean Gorham is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-15-2016, 12:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Persona Non Grata

Cougar

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 04/05/2010
Client: Firestorm x64
If you're new to a Maitreya mesh body then you ought to visit Addams, Blueberry and Vinyl, to name just a few of the better stores.

Join their groups and enjoy access to some excellent free group gifts to get your new wardrobe underway!
Vixen Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-15-2016, 11:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 1, 2006
Just Because is top notch as well. I can almost buy anything from them sans demo, although I always demo just in case. Erratic for lingerie, cannot be beaten.
Cristalle is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-16-2016, 12:47 AM   #13 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

watching

SL Join Date: 27/10/2010
Client: Official (w/Starlight) & Catznip
And don't forget Dead Dollz, also making near perfect fitting clothes for Maitreya.

“Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be.” - Frank Zappa
Tris is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed: