Low render collars? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Fashion and Shopping » Low render collars?

Fashion and Shopping Discuss where to buy things, where to find things, favorite designers, etc. DO NOT ADVERTISE.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2016, 07:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neurotic Poet

Passionate and fragmentary.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 09/17/2011
Client: Firestorm
Low render collars?

With all the talk going on about bringing down complexity in avatars my partner and I have been discussing how to fix our avatars to be more efficient. While neither of us had overly ridiculous avatars we still had room for improvement and something we noticed is that our Open Collar scripted collars are crazy high.

The problem though... nice looking ones for sale tend to be pricey and as was said a few times in the Jelly Dolls thread, often demos aren't available and even with demos there's no way to know until you buy how complex something is.

I was wondering if any of you knew of some collar makers who make low render collars that use Open Collar scripts. Bonus points for collars that aren't too "OMG bondage" but can work well with a bondage look or simply a punk or goth look. We both currently wear styles by Real Evil and I love the way their stuff works but they are also fairly render-heavy.
Iris Melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris Melody View Post
With all the talk going on about bringing down complexity in avatars my partner and I have been discussing how to fix our avatars to be more efficient. While neither of us had overly ridiculous avatars we still had room for improvement and something we noticed is that our Open Collar scripted collars are crazy high.

The problem though... nice looking ones for sale tend to be pricey and as was said a few times in the Jelly Dolls thread, often demos aren't available and even with demos there's no way to know until you buy how complex something is.

I was wondering if any of you knew of some collar makers who make low render collars that use Open Collar scripts. Bonus points for collars that aren't too "OMG bondage" but can work well with a bondage look or simply a punk or goth look. We both currently wear styles by Real Evil and I love the way their stuff works but they are also fairly render-heavy.
For the do it yourselfer:

I ran a search on the Marketplace for 'Collar', filtered for full perms, and got 36 pages of results at 96 items per page, about half of them builders kits for a wide variety of possible things for your use.

Your main problem will be adding a particle emitter location for any leash apps, but there you go. Most mesh things will be way lower than all the twisted tubes and torii of years gone by.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

What a folking boat!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 1 29 2013
Business: the Sail Loft
My go-to for lightweight jewellery is The Forge, but my partner chose a collar from there that ended up pushing all her outfits over 40K.

Kam's approach is likely the best. Be sure to use small textures.
Trifina is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-22-2016, 02:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

What a folking boat!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 1 29 2013
Business: the Sail Loft
Update:

My partner and I just got new collars from Virtual Disgrace (available on the MP and at the new Temple of the Collar (proceeds support Open Collar)). She got the "Elegant Collar" and matching cuffs, and I got the "Elementary Necklace". Both collars have a Render Weight of about 3.4K

She'd been wearing a collar from The Forge and Stockholm and Lima cuffs, and her Render Weight dropped by 27K.

I put my collar on the ground, unlinked and deleted 6 of the 8 pieces, and it's now merely .4K for everyday wear. (that also got rid of the scripts, of course)

Hope that helps....
Trifina is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-22-2016, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Socially Unpronouncable

Just like the real thing - Only better.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 6, 2006
Client: Firestorm
OpenCollar and Virtual Disgrace always strives for efficiency in scripting as well as artwork without sacrificing functionality or styling. This is why it is THE standard in SL (plus, it's cost free). Many of the models used are contributed by other artists well before Avatar Complexity became a thing. I'm sure, as time passes, collar makers as well as clothing, shoes, and other apparel makers will take complexity and rendering into consideration.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Quietly watching

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/24/2007
Client: PoundLife
You could always do what I did with my collar, make a basic invisible collar for the function, then use whatever you want for the actual visible collar. Just be sure it's unscripted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Ryan View Post
OpenCollar and Virtual Disgrace always strives for efficiency in scripting as well as artwork without sacrificing functionality or styling. This is why it is THE standard in SL (plus, it's cost free). Many of the models used are contributed by other artists well before Avatar Complexity became a thing. I'm sure, as time passes, collar makers as well as clothing, shoes, and other apparel makers will take complexity and rendering into consideration.
They should really take texture memory use into consideration too, even the basic free OpenCollar can (and should) cut 9MBs off the VRAM use without affecting how it looks.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-23-2016, 11:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pancakes alt

Bondage Luddite

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 02/28/2009
[Tia] had a gift collar during the SLB13 event. (I think from We <3 RP.) It's a lovely simple mesh and adds about 1k. If they dont have it for sale, you might ask if you could purchase the gift.

ETA:

https://gyazo.com/eb1387fe4114f0294837f3cd9ece158f

That's what it looks like. It's an unrigged mesh. the photo doesn't do it justice, but I'm at work and cant get a proper shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake
You are that evil voice on my shoulder Roxy.

Last edited by Roxy Couturier; 08-23-2016 at 11:20 PM.
Roxy Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This: