Help! I need help with an alpha - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Fashion and Shopping » Help! I need help with an alpha

Fashion and Shopping Discuss where to buy things, where to find things, favorite designers, etc. DO NOT ADVERTISE.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2016, 04:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pancakes alt

Bondage Luddite

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 02/28/2009
I need help with an alpha

I'm not sure where to post this, but I need to find an alpha that covers the whole body and the neck area of the head.

I completely suck at doing this myself.

PS: if there isn't one out there, I'm willing to pay to have it done. (Needs to be transfer so I can slap it on an alt.)

Thanks SLU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake
You are that evil voice on my shoulder Roxy.
Roxy Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Mood:
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy Couturier View Post
I need to find an alpha that covers the whole body and the neck area of the head.
Ah... the 'holy grail' of alphas.
wesleytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Mood:
Client: Firestorm
Okay, I shall try and be a bit more helpful...

There are at lease two mesh bodies on the market that I am aware of which contain alphas along the lines of what you are after.

Utilizator's Avatar 2.0 and Chip Midnight's Mbody both contain 'full body' alphas in their boxes and provided for people who intend to attempt using those bodies with the standard LL head. Purchasing either-or is probably overkill for what you want though (Mbody has a demo).

I assume that's what you're trying to do - use the LL on a mesh body without having the usual neck join?

The problem with creating an alpha like you describe is that there is no clear area where the neck ends and the head starts - and there is rarely a 'sweet zone' which allows the perfect blending of mesh body to LL head. You still get a visible join (complete with a jagged edge of pixels), or a small 'gap' between where the neck meets the head (when viewd from some angles), or possibly some clipping... or all three.

Also, what might come close to working for one body, might not work quite so closely for another, so often each maybe need its own custom solution.

However, it depends how much such things would bother you, and some well placed hair and some shading can help hide some of those imperfections.

Finally however, the body you using also has to have a neck (or an add-on) that extends up to the head. Otherwise your alpha has just created a huge gap!
wesleytron is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-05-2016, 05:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
I'm going on break

Well... I'll be... I have had the Avatar 2.0 for years now and had no idea that alpha layer was in there. I just tried it out, and even that one has a nasty result. Here's a shot of me in the default Avatar 2.0 body, wearing the default Avatar 2.0 shape, and the full body (but LL head) alpha.

I've no idea how something similar would look with a different body, but I'm going to guess a bit of a gap and a seam are going to be unavoidable.

ETA: I once tried to make a head-only alpha. I now have a bald patch in RL and a permanent crease in my forehead that matches the edge of my desk. In a way, I'm glad to see that it's not just me.
Nemo Quisquam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pancakes alt

Bondage Luddite

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleytron View Post
I assume that's what you're trying to do - use the LL on a mesh body without having the usual neck join?
Sort of but no. I have a coco doll mesh body on my alt. it has a long slender neck as part of the body. So a 'gap' or hole at the bottom of the head is what I want. What i dont want is the bit of neck that's part of the head texture. I just want head*, no neck, but neck hole is fine for the look I'm trying for. I can prolly plug it with a flesh colored prim to make it more doll-like for up-cammers.

ETA: The doll-body neck is smaller by far than the system neck, so there wont be clipping. And even if the hole extends a bit that'd be fine. As I said, I can finagle making a flesh-colored plug

*out of context that sounds so so wrong..

Last edited by Roxy Couturier; 08-05-2016 at 05:48 PM. Reason: added more
Old 08-05-2016, 05:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pancakes alt

Bondage Luddite

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo Quisquam View Post
Well... I'll be... I have had the Avatar 2.0 for years now and had no idea that alpha layer was in there. I just tried it out, and even that one has a nasty result. Here's a shot of me in the default Avatar 2.0 body, wearing the default Avatar 2.0 shape, and the full body (but LL head) alpha.

I've no idea how something similar would look with a different body, but I'm going to guess a bit of a gap and a seam are going to be unavoidable.

ETA: I once tried to make a head-only alpha. I now have a bald patch in RL and a permanent crease in my forehead that matches the edge of my desk. In a way, I'm glad to see that it's not just me.
That's close! But still too much neck.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pancakes alt

Bondage Luddite

My Mood:
here's what it looks like with full body alpha and no head alpha:

https://gyazo.com/7ac31e4fc87143d0c8288d918eefd15a

https://gyazo.com/f2cc3afb8779c6dd31738a63a2133a49

And these two show how much neck I have to work with:

https://gyazo.com/eb1387fe4114f0294837f3cd9ece158f

https://gyazo.com/e86be5a0bb432305291b1e7c1fe3580f
Old 08-05-2016, 08:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
I'm going on break

Hmmm... I have a skin I made from Chip's templates that I can send you in-world, if you like. If you're comfortable using Photoshop, you can use it and Chip's templates to guide you where you put the boundary of the alpha mask. If not, I'd be happy to give it a shot.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pancakes alt

Bondage Luddite

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo Quisquam View Post
Hmmm... I have a skin I made from Chip's templates that I can send you in-world, if you like. If you're comfortable using Photoshop, you can use it and Chip's templates to guide you where you put the boundary of the alpha mask. If not, I'd be happy to give it a shot.
As I said, I completely suck at doing that. I mean I can slap textures into the predetermined texture slots, but Gimp/Photoshop sort of overwhelm my skill set.

So.. Pretty please?

I'll happily pay for upload fees and your time. Whatever you think it's worth.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
I'm going on break

Sure thing. Just let me know what SL account to send the skin. Then, if you could send me some snapshots kind of like what you had before with the skin applied to the head while you wear the mesh body... that should give me enough sense of where the edge needs to go.

No promises on this, I'm afraid... it's a fussy area of the avatar.