This may take a while... - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Crafts and Hobbies » This may take a while...

Crafts and Hobbies Discuss your creative interests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2018, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
This may take a while...

New tablet, Day 1...meh.

I'm very slowly getting the hang of this thing, but I can tell that it will take some getting used to. As imperfect as the mouse is, it's what I've been using all this time, and right away there's some mouse habits that I'll need to un-learn in order to get proficient with the pen. Just for example, I'm used to moving my mouse no more than three inches in any one direction to cover the whole screen. My tablet's working area is about the size of a sheet of notebook paper so I actually have to move my hand and arm a lot more.

The dynamics will take some adjusting-to also; pressure opacity for instance does kinda simulate the way a pencil line gets darker the harder you press; but it's not a perfect 1:1 translation and I'll need to learn the intricacies and all that.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
3 Users Like This:
Old 02-22-2018, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
*blink*

Vatican mole

My Mood:

I favor a 5x8 tablet because it's easier to work with. You can always work with a larger canvas but it's just easier for me to lie on the sofa and scribble on something smaller. As for the intricacies, people tend to work with layers, constantly refining and adding detail upwards.

You can wish-list items and return to SLU to purchase through the affiliate link.
Note: Some people refuse to buy from Amazon due to predatory tactics against publishers as noted here and here by Jacqueline Trudeau.
Soen Eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

There's probably another thing that I've never used or even downloaded Krita before until just now, to use this tablet on...

I'll work on the painting a little over time. But right now my priority is just to get comfortable with the pen, because I've got a Blender sculpting workshop coming up in a week or so that I'm paying for, and I want to use the tablet for it. I am equally interested in both 3D and 2D art, but right now the focus is on Blender.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

In need of a new avatar

What tablet is that? It looks pretty nice.
Eunoli Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

It's a Huion Q11K graphics tablet.

It's not a tablet computer....as in like an Android tablet or an iPad. It's just like a flat black pad you plug into your computer, that you use with a stylus - the stylus is interpreted by your computer just like a mouse; but some may find it easier and more natural to do digital artwork using the stylus like a pen or pencil than by using an actual mouse.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

In need of a new avatar

Ah. I really have been lusting after the tablet/screens. I keep telling myself "another year and they'll come down enough to buy..."
Eunoli Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-23-2018, 01:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eunoli Rain View Post
Ah. I really have been lusting after the tablet/screens. I keep telling myself "another year and they'll come down enough to buy..."
Yeah like a Cintiq or whatever they're called - OMG WANT but heck yeah they're expensive. I mean, you can kind of use a stylus on any touch tablet, but those specifically designed ones that are good and fast and precise enough for actual artwork are ridiculous. I would love to have one, and pack it around and draw stuff out in the city or in nature the same way I could with a sketch pad and pencil; but unless I start dabbling in human trafficking or something I don't ever see having enough money to swing one.
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-11-2018, 07:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Really getting the hang of this pen and tablet!

That should be a sculpt of Ron Perlman that I've done in Blender.

It did take some adjusting to, but after using the pen for a while it's now waaaay more intuitive and natural to use for this kind of stuff than a mouse.

Unfortunately using it for the rest of the stuff you need to do on a computer like clicking options, opening and moving windows, and all that kind of stuff is really awkward, so that means everyone once in a while setting down the pen and going to the mouse; but while that may not be the most convenient kind of "workflow" when you're doing stuff, it's far from unmanageable.
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 03-11-2018, 08:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
Hey, thats neat. So how does this work. How do you 3D sculpt like that with the stylus (genericly).

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

That looks great
Sludge is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-11-2018, 09:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen Jedburgh View Post
Hey, thats neat. So how does this work. How do you 3D sculpt like that with the stylus (genericly).
Okay well first you need a program like Blender, and you need to know how to use it and get into the sculpting mode inside it. Once in that mode in whatever program you're using, sculpting is pretty much the same in all of them - there's several different "brushes" - like a generic grab-and-move brush, a brush that inflates or deflates a certain area, a brush that makes creases or ridges as you draw, a brush that smooths the surface, etc etc. So you just take your starting object, and "draw" on the surface of it (using your mouse pointer, or pen). And that's all it is. You move the object around in your viewport, you switch to a brush that does what you want to do right this second - make a crease or a bump or adding some mass to a spot or whatever - and you draw on it, just like it was clay.

I started Ron up there with just a ball. Used the "grab" brush to push and shape it into a generic kinda head shape; used another brush called a "snake hook" to grab and "pull out" some clay from the bottom of the head to make the basic shape of the neck and shoulders, used the "inflate" brush to build up the beginnings of a nose and deflate-in the eye socket areas, then used the "crease" brush to start adding laugh-lines and the mouth shape, and so on and so on working on smaller and smaller details over time.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-23-2018, 08:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

A little motion-tracking practice:

I took the video with my phone; yeah I know it's horribly shaky. ^^ But, I was able to set a good tracking solution on it; the Suzanne head doesn't slide around at all in the video even with all that shaking.

It took over two hours to render than 10 second clip. So I finally caved and just joined a render farm, and hopefully next time I need to render something I can do a lot more a lot faster.
3 Users Like This: