deviantArt bought up by wix.com - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Crafts and Hobbies » deviantArt bought up by wix.com

Crafts and Hobbies Discuss your creative interests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2017, 09:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2008/02/07
Client: Firestorm (in Phoenix Mode!), Cool VL Viewer
Unhappy deviantArt bought up by wix.com

Website builder Wix acquires art community DeviantArt for $36M

Quote:
Wix.com has made another acquisition to build out the tools that it provides to users to build and administer websites: it has acquired DeviantArt, an online community for artists, designers and art/design enthusiasts with some 325 million individual pieces of original art and more than 40 million registered members, for $36 million in cash, including $3 million of assumed liabilities.[...]
The transaction closed yesterday, Wix tells me.
Wix said that it will continue to operate DeviantArt as a standalone site, but it will also use it to boost its own business in a couple of ways.
First, DeviantArt users will get access to Wix’s web design tools to build out more dynamic online presences. These tools do not only cover design, but commerce and other features for running businesses online.
That’s another area that Wix has been expanding: just last month the company acquired Flok, a provider of mobile CRM and loyalty services, to expand Wix’s mobile commerce offerings.
Second, Wix will open up DeviantArt’s repository of art and creative community to the Wix platform, giving Wix’s users access to that work to use in their own site building.
[...]
The deal will also include putting further investment into developing DeviantArt’s desktop and mobile apps. (Today, that desktop experience is based on a very simple, pared-down interface that is reminiscent of the 2000 birthdate of the startup itself.)
[...]

To be honest, I'm not overly optimistic about dA's future under its new ownership.

Under the announcement within dA (DeviantArt and Wix: With a Kindred Spirit by spyed on DeviantArt), where spyed mentions that wix and dA now were "partners", I commented:
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
I have a question... How can it be that a company that just bought 100% of deviantArt can be considered to be a "partner"? I would rather think "partners" are on the same level with each other.
Wix.com is the new owner of dA, not its partner; and dA does now have to do as they wish. Even close down completely if that amuses them.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

I stand between.

My Mood:
... Time to download everything by Uzobono and Dollmistress before it goes away...
The Republican Party needs to end now. You've fucked everything up. All your representatives are assholes and your primitive ideas are holding our country back. You are all utterly and completely worthless and irredeemable, and you hate human beings, America, and the planet we all share.
Seyla Warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
bunneh

Location: Maybe the Bay, maybe the UK, maybe somewhere else..
My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
It really all depends on Wix's true intent. It could well be a fairly benign development, with DA picked up as just a sort of hobby sideline - it seems their own finances are quite buoyant, and they may genuinely just want to keep DA's lights on without them having to constantly push CORE memberships at every opportunity.

A similar thing happened a year or so back, with IMVU buying FurAffinity - quite an odd match, but, I'll happily admit that, as far as I can tell from the outside, it does indeed seem IMVU's given FA the server resources they need, with no apparent strings. FSM knows, it's not as if FA makes money - AFAIK, there isn't even any paid membership option.
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:

Tags
aquisition , deviantart , wix