Substance Painter - SLUniverse Forums

Content Creation Discuss building, scripting, and other forms of content creation for SL.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 11:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Indentured Servant

bitter midget

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/03/2004
Client: Niran's
Substance Painter

Allegorithmic's Substance Painter is going to public beta this thursday!!

Quote:
Dear all,

This week promises to represent a significant milestone for Allegorithmic as we are planning to publicly release Substance Painter beta this Thursday, March 6th. We think the product still needs a few more months of hard, dedicated work to truly become what we have in mind, but we also believe it is in a good enough shape so that we could try something bold here.

We decided to go a bit unusual and let you access it via two ways: you will obviously be able to freely get access to a trial of the tool on our website during the beta phase, but you will also have the possibility to acquire Substance Painter beta on Steam at a heavily discounted price before it is released.

With this approach, we are very much in line with the “early access” approach we see and like in some games on Steam. We truly hope and believe that, with this method, our community will be able to participate in the making of the tool, pushing it to become the painting application the industry and creators out there have been really waiting for. In exchange, we are happy to offer a huge discount and to let early licensees upgrade for free when the shiny v1.0 is finally released.

So here is the second bold move: we are so confident this tool already delivers unseen features and an overall unrivalled experience that we are eager to see it tried by as many people as possible the very day we release that beta.

For this, we would like to try out a little something called Launchcrew. The principle is simple yet efficient: if you like what we do and want to help us generate some crazy noise around Substance Painter at launch time, you just have to register there and, the said day, Launchcrew (and us in fact ) will publish on Facebook and/or Twitter on your behalf once about the release.

Well, if you are as excited as we are with Substance Painter, we are counting on you!

Help us on Launchcrew.

The Substance Guyz

TorturedPolygon is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Indentured Servant

bitter midget

My Mood:
Beta is up!

Trial: Substance Painter | allegorithmic

Early Access on Steam (with achievements! lol) Save 50% on Substance Painter on Steam

During the beta phase, Substance Painter will be 50% off the final market price (for the non-commercial version).

FAQS: FAQ :: Substance Painter General Beta

Q: What will be the pricing at official release?
A: Substance Painter non-commercial: 149$ per seat
Substance Painter commercial: 590$ per seat
Upgrade from non-commercial to commercial: 441$
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 03-06-2014, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
That template guy

Meshing Around

My Mood:
Business: CMFF
Cheaper than I expected by quite a lot. Even full retail is going to be pretty reasonable.
Chip Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Indentured Servant

bitter midget

My Mood:
I already grabbed the early access and will probably upgrade to commercial as long as I'm still playing with it by then. Also FYI you can use the Non-Commercial to make assets for Steam Workshop (in case this applies to anyone).

Is Non-Commercial lisence feature limited? :: Substance Painter General Beta
Quote:
Q: Is the Steam Non-Commercal version limited in features/reolution like 3D Coat, or is it purely that it is a non-commercial lisence like Substance Designer is?

A: It is not limited. It works just like Substance Designer and is purely a non-commercial license. However, you can use it to create assets for Steam store.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Indentured Servant

bitter midget

My Mood:
Wow, huge news on the eula front!

Quote:
Dear Friends,

First of all, we would like to say a HUGE thanks to all of you for participating in the launch of Substance Painter Beta, whether it was via the free trial, the Steam version or simply by watching the release trailer and getting the word out. Speaking of the trailer, for those of you who haven’t watched it yet, you can visit the new Substance Painter Homepage.

We have to admit we are positively surprised, and overall impressed by the number of people joining the community and providing feedback - we pay close attention to what you have to say. Many of you had questions on the Substance Painter Beta process, therefore we would like to take the opportunity to share with you the following points:

YOU can participate in the tool's development

We want Substance Painter's development to be nurtured by the requests and ideas of our end-users. This is why we decided to define development priorities according to user feedback, while also being fully transparent on the upcoming features themselves. You can follow this and participate on our Steam community hub.

AAA quality while remaining an indie-ssential

Substance Painter obviously aims at innovating when it comes to 3D painting. However, our philosophy is also to democratize 3D painting among digital artists and we do not want to exclude independent developers who might not have the budget for a Commercial license.

This is why we have modified the EULAs (End User License Agreement) of all our software to reflect the reality of many of our users: you are now officially allowed to use the Non-Commercial license for any commercial work, as long as you don’t generate more than US$ 10,000 in revenue per year. We believe this is a fair limit and a good way to let newcomers and small shops/indies join the revolution. To read the full update, click here. As of now, we will call the Non-Commercial license the “Indie” license and the Commercial license will become the “Pro” license.

Thanks again for being involved in our community, we look forward to getting your feedback and hope to share new development news soon

The Allegorithmic Team
So for right now you can buy the indie version for half off on steam!
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 03-11-2014, 01:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
pushes vertices

Shinyyyyy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 666
Business: Timetwist by A2NZ
Client: Official Viewer
That's a great license agreement!
I see your work and think 'she'll go far' which is why theres no need of an aide memoire
xxxxxx
Raindrop Drinkwater is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
I'm not fat!

I'm just a little husky.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 7/22/2006
Business: Organica

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Send a message via Skype™ to Aki Shichiroji
Did anyone else get in on this? I've been wrestling with the beta a bit over the past week or so and i'm struggling to understand how (if possible) to import and affect multiple material faces such that the effects are applied to separate maps, rather than one big stack.

Okay, ETA to say their discussion area mentions that, while it is on their dev roadmap, apparently there isn't multi-material support yet and they don't know how long it'll take.

Last edited by Aki Shichiroji; 05-09-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Aki Shichiroji is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
substance painter