The current state of Windlight? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Development Discussion and Support > Content Creation » The current state of Windlight?

Content Creation Discuss building, scripting, and other forms of content creation for SL.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 1
The 2 Millionth Post Award 
The current state of Windlight?

I'm finishing up a major renovation of my homestead sim. Aside from cutting streams and rearranging structures, I've replaced much of the landscaping with mesh trees and bridges and even a waterfall. The end result is that I still have over 300 prims left and yet the sim is more densely decorated than before. Yay!

The last step is creating a Windlight setting that shows off the sim to its best advantage. I've been googling windlight, but most of the references I've found are several years old and I have no idea how well they fit the current version of Windlight on the grid. I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to light/environment settings before now, but I have a vague memory that 1) the original implementation was incomplete and unsatisfactory and 2) it has changed fairly recently.

So, I'm (finally, belatedly) ready to pay attention I'd appreciate some tips on where to start and what is currently feasible or advisable in applying settings to a sim.

Help?
2 Users Like This:
Old 08-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
kortee'nea

SL Join Date: May 2007

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Send a message via Skype™ to Adeon Writer
Sim owners can set their own custom windlight and water sets, and anyone on an official up to date viewer will see it correctly; most TPV's will as well. It can be your own custom settings, visitors don't need to have it themselves.

What is not finished are the day cycles; you can have custom windlight but it will be the same one around the clock.
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

nuuuuuuuu

My Mood:
Business: lassitude & ennui
I'm not at home currently so can't check the details on the client, but provided you have estate manager rights, you can define a windlight preset as estate default, which is then used automagically by the official client, but can still be overridden by the user.
Jackal Ennui is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Thanks -- I guess I should have been a bit more clear. I understand that I can now set Windlight for my sim, but I have no clue where to find better settings than are offered by the LL defaults (which suck) or how to develop my own.

Would packages from 2011 (the latest I could find from Google searching) be current enough to work?

Are the changes to Windlight only in how it can be applied to a sim or did it also change the settings themselves, outdating the packages from early days?
Beebo Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
♂♂

*SLU Supporter*

*Poof!*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 25th May 2007

Check out Strawberry Singh's blog. She has a great collection of additional settings that look pretty impressive. Carth linked to it form his blog a few weeks back and the settings are still relevant and a great starting point for adapting your own. There is even a tutorial for adding them to your viewer folders.

I'll dig out a link and update this when i get home.

Links here as promised:
Carth's recent blog post on photography

Strawberry Singh's blog post about windlight settings

Last edited by OrinB; 08-13-2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: added links
OrinB is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
3 Users Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
♂♂

*SLU Supporter*

*Poof!*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post
Would packages from 2011 (the latest I could find from Google searching) be current enough to work?
Yes
Old 08-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrinB View Post
Check out Strawberry Singh's blog. She has a great collection of additional settings that look pretty impressive. Carth linked to it form his blog a few weeks back and the settings are still relevant and a great starting point for adapting your own. There is even a tutorial for adding them to your viewer folders.
Exactly what I was looking for -- thanks!
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 08-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
I don't do stupid.

mean old man

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2006-06-09
Business: My!
Client: Dolphin Viewer 3
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance Corrimal
if you're using dolphin 3 (or phoenix firestorm), you have pretty much every windlight preset that is "out there".
Old 08-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
♂♂

*SLU Supporter*

*Poof!*

My Mood:

I thought there were a few TPV's that had a lot of the settings included. Thanks Lance.

I need to try Dolphin again now all the transparency issues are all fixed.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer
Cock Chafer

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Client: Catznip or the Official but I dabble in others

The Penis Handler 
Quote:

I'll dig out a link and update this when i get home.

Links here as promised:
Carth's recent blog post on photography

Strawberry Singh's blog post about windlight settings
A while ago I downloaded all the ones mentioned on Strawberry's blog and keep a big backup windlight folder that I can drop into any new viewer I install or when I have to do a clean install I don't lose everything.

I also recently downloaded these from Gogo's blog, they aren't my preference for day to day windlight to look at scenary, but they are nice for portraits or indoor studio lighting.

JUICYBOMB.COM – Studio Windlight Settings

Yes, some of the TPV's have decent windlight lists, and I've taken a few that didn't exist elsewhere from those and put them in my big master folder that I then copy over. I prefer to have the same lighting options across all viewers, it's just easier for me that way.

eta - There are also many that I never use or are too similar to warrant a place in my already too long list, so keeping my own customized folder and copying over what the TPV gives me is the easiest for me.

Last edited by Pancake; 08-13-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Kipple Busting

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 23, 2007
Client: Exodus & Firestorm
Like Pancake I always keep a backup of windlight settings so i can just drop them into the folder when a viewer is updated and I re-install it.

Strawberry's windlight settings are really fantastic and I tend to use them a lot and just play about the with lighting settings till I see something I like.

Torley did a load of windlight settings awhile back but to be honest I very rarely if at all use them, there a bit out there although I'm sure they might work with some sims.

When it comes to water settings I always without fail use the glassy setting in the editing water section as it gives that nice mirror effect on the water.
Carthalis is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*
Pubbie4Lyfe

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Corrimal View Post
if you're using dolphin 3 (or phoenix firestorm), you have pretty much every windlight preset that is "out there".

I would go this route. Even if you don't intend on using it as your main viewer, you can still set either a single preset, or a day cycle and then every (v3-based) viewer will be able to set it regardless of their viewer version.

What that means is, once set, you can go back to using the stock v3 viewer (if that's what you're using) and only use dolphin (or firestorm) when you want to change the settings.

I like "nam's beach scene" for the day and for the water setting, but that might look a little washed-out for you. I'd say just grab a tpv and play around with the windlight settings until you find a setting you like.
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Thanks, everyone, for all the great information! I've browsed through dozens of different Windlight settings, making note of all the features I liked (and didn't like). Using that as inspiration, I've started making my own light settings. This will be a work-in-progress for awhile as I continue to experiment, but for now I have this applied to the sim:

Old 08-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Never taped a dick

My God, this reminds me

My Mood:
SL Join Date: This time: 10/12/2010
Client: A few different ones

Quote:
Thanks, everyone, for all the great information! I've browsed through dozens of different Windlight settings, making note of all the features I liked (and didn't like). Using that as inspiration, I've started making my own light settings. This will be a work-in-progress for awhile as I continue to experiment, but for now I have this applied to the sim:

Ooohhhh. Pretty place for pictures, Beebo. Will that be allowed?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shilohlyric/
http://shilohlyric.wordpress.com/
Shiloh Lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh Lyric View Post
Ooohhhh. Pretty place for pictures, Beebo. Will that be allowed?
Absolutely -- the Wild Woods were always intended as a public area, although it's become more residential of late since a good friend of mine and I now have our SL homes on the land too.

My next plan is to find a boat rezzer so visitors can boat around or through the sim. There are gardens, paths, ancient ruins, a waterfall and swimming hole, plus stealth meeroos peeking out here and there from the underbrush.

Just look for Migisi sim on the SL map and TP in!
2 Users Said Yay!:
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #16 (permalink)

needs to edit profile/pics

SL Join Date: Sept 2006 (but not active till 2008)
Business: someday, someday ...

Thread Title of the Week 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Corrimal View Post

Where are the windlight settings in Dolphin? I can find Sun and environmental ettings but no windlight. I've been using other viewers when I wanted to fiddle with windlight.
Robert Jung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Beebo,

After seeing your picture, i had to go and take a look. I dropped by and it is wonderful what you have done. (I always felt mesh was better suited for building and landscaping than for clothing, but that is another day.) Everything looked great, including your windlight setting which showed up fine on my Exodus viewer
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

I've been on this homestead for close to a year now, and I'm continually impressed with just how sturdy a homestead can be despite the advertised limitations.

With the current mesh redesign, I've packed the sim with landscaping items such as bridges, walls, a waterfall, tree house, bushes, and trees yet still mananged to have over 300 prims left from my budget of 3,750. This includes three commercial stores that are taking more than their share of the parcel/prim allotment.

I will be able to trim even more prims when I find a store build in mesh, since the one I'm using now pre-dates even the 64m prim size feature. I've brought the build down from approx. 120 prims to around 98, but with mesh I could probably cut that in half again. Yet more savings will come as we phase out old furniture -- still among my most prim-heavy items left on the sim.

Despite having the store, scripted items such as the watefall and houses, plus a large flock of meeroos and papillon breedables, the sum total of scripts is under 1ms (last time I checked we were at .8ms) out of the recommended 4ms max for a homestead.

All in all, for a low traffic sim, you just can't beat a homestead. Mesh makes it a very livable space.
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 08-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
♂♂

*SLU Supporter*

*Poof!*

My Mood:

Quote:
I've brought the build down from approx. 120 prims to around 98, but with mesh I could probably cut that in half again. Yet more savings will come as we phase out old furniture -- still among my most prim-heavy items left on the sim.
/whispers: While you're waiting for the mesh build, unlink and relink your large store build into smaller appropriate linksets then switch to convex hull! Older prim builds can take a good beating down if they're not all hollow or majorly contorted prims. Oh and furniture too!
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
/whispers: While you're waiting for the mesh build, unlink and relink your large store build into smaller appropriate linksets then switch to convex hull! Older prim builds can take a good beating down if they're not all hollow or majorly contorted prims. Oh and furniture too!

My store build has so many small prims that I couldn't face the prospect of unlinking it, so I just switched the whole linked build to convex hull and crossed my fingers that I wouldn't break anything.

It went from 98LI to 52.

Giddy with elation, I streaked through my sim and in the space of 15mins I recovered about 150 prims worth of LI. By this evening, when I have time for another pass, I should have recovered over 200 LI for my sim.

1 User Laughed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 08-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #21 (permalink)

needs to edit profile/pics

SL Join Date: Sept 2006 (but not active till 2008)
Business: someday, someday ...

Thread Title of the Week 
Quote:

... I just switched the whole linked build to convex hull and crossed my fingers ...
It went from 98LI to 52.

Giddy with elation, I streaked through my sim and ... I recovered about 150 prims worth of LI. By this evening, .... I should have recovered over 200 LI for my sim.
Thanks for posting this. It's very encouraging and motivating. I'm doing a little prim building and am getting close to my prim limit. Hopefully I can finish the basic build before reaching the limit and then go around finding ways to reduce.

Thanks!

I'm much less nervous now ;-)
Robert Jung is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 08-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #22 (permalink)
♂♂

*SLU Supporter*

*Poof!*

My Mood:

Just to clarify:

The breaking usually happens with hollow prims. Specifically those you need to walk through like doorways, arches or large megaprim boxes where the walls are the interior of a large prim etc. I usually unlink all those prims and relink them into a set that i can keep as normal prim type. Sculpty build components, toruses and heavily contorted prims will also end up costing higher LI than their prim equivalent. So i also tend to relink those into groups too and keep them as normal.

Thats the reason i used the unlink and relink into groups suggestion.
1 User Said Thanks:

Tags
windlight