Clothing Creations: How do you deal with the edge seams? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Development Discussion and Support > Content Creation » Clothing Creations: How do you deal with the edge seams?

Content Creation Discuss building, scripting, and other forms of content creation for SL.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 04:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Clothing Creations: How do you deal with the edge seams?

The seams where the templates ends at the stomach or at the left and right side of the torso & legs. Basically where the back and front templates are connected on a 3d model. How do you go about matching them up? Any tips or is there a way to actually paint on a 3d model? (sorry if this was asked before!) I worked on a plaid jacket and it was giving me hell!
Kathleen Foxdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

Magic mushroom. Get it?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2008

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant Special Achievement in Thread Titling 
Belts...
[confused cats against feminism]
la lucha sigue...
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
CEO Fallen Angel Designs

sutatS tidE

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Late 2006
Business: Fallen Angel Designs
Client: Firestorm 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen Foxdale View Post
The seams where the templates ends at the stomach or at the left and right side of the torso & legs. Basically where the back and front templates are connected on a 3d model. How do you go about matching them up? Any tips or is there a way to actually paint on a 3d model? (sorry if this was asked before!) I worked on a plaid jacket and it was giving me hell!

Well, first of all, even in RL they can't completely match a plaid all the way down the sides or over the belt line. Curved seams vs. straight lines means it's just not going to happen.

Your best bet to ATTEMPT it is to use templates with subdivisions (like Chip Midnight's or Robin Sojourner's) and try to line them up that way. Set the transparency of the texture you're working with to 50% or so, and look through it to the template as you're moving it around.

But it's NEVER going to match perfectly.... even if it looks like it does in your graphics program. Different AV proportions guarantee it's always going to be off in some way.

ETA: I'll second Samantha's suggestion below re: SLCP - only thing available for Mac, and has saved me thousands of $L in uploads (before temp uploads) in checking alignment.

Last edited by Lloyd Newman; 02-15-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Lloyd Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-15-2011, 04:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

SL Join Date: February 13, 2006
Business: Samantha's Shirts
Client: Cool VL Viewer 1.26.12

Awards: 1
Best Drama Summary 
Quote:
How do you go about matching them up? Any tips or is there a way to actually paint on a 3d model?
There is, actually. AvPainter. Windows-only, L$2,495. You'll still want to do the bulk of the work in Photoshop (or GIMP, or whatever), but this can be useful for lining up seams and seeing where they go off.

There's also SL Clothes Previewer. You can't edit on that one, but it's free, and you can see the seams and how close you are.

With that said, it's possible to obsess too much over this. Seams are often visible in First Life...
Philip 3:16
For Rosedale so loved the grid, that he rezzed his only begotten Avatar, that whosoever believeth in him shall not crash, but have eternal Second Life.
Samantha Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Account Closed

*SLU Supporter*
Meh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 01/26/06
Business: .( bewildebeest ).
This also helps a bit:

Multi Chan Hax- It’s all kinds of awesome! « Random Ramblings, Tip & Tricks
Coyote Momiji is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
use software, usually expensive, that allows projection mode painting.
Ann Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zii

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2006-ish
Business: Apricot Paws
I recently got 3D Coat for this c.c Had my first proper play with it yesterday, and as far as shading goes seams stop being a problem alltogether. Still need to try it with patterns, though. It's like AvPainter with far more features, it's possible to create the texture almost 100% inside the program. However, much more expensive.

Multi Chan Hax created glitched results for me more often than not, where most of the texture would come out fine but certain face conversions came out jagged and horrible. Maybe I was doing it wrong?
Zii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Indentured Servant

bitter midget

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/03/2004
Client: Niran's
I bought 3DCoat over a year ago to use with Lightwave and Daz Studio/Poser. Recently I decided to start creating in SL again and 3DCoat is awesome for SL, but admittedly can be out of most hobbyists' budgets. I paint the seams (for skin and clothes) in 3DCoat and check them in Daz Studio before uploading to the grid (saves lots of trial and error on $L).

You might want to also check out Blender. I recently used Blender for sculpties and once you get past the "weirdness" of the UI it is pretty full featured and useful for SL. Here's a few tutorials to check out...

Blender Projection Tutorial (no sound)
Vimeo: vimeo.com/5093588

Blender Projection Paint tutorial (Blender 2.5) (no sound)
Vimeo: vimeo.com/15223387

Texturing with Projection Painting (Blender 2.49) (with sound)
Vimeo: vimeo.com/7156622

Update: Projection Painting in Blender 2.5 (with sound)
Vimeo: vimeo.com/15824758

Blender Reprojection Tutorial (English) (Blender 2.5 with photoshop and gimp)
Vimeo: vimeo.com/11699848

Allegory Malaprop: Texturing the Avatar with Blender

Blender and Second Life Video Tutorial ($10usd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventures In Blender
Adventures In Blender
As mentioned in a previous review, CartoonSmart.com came out with 2 new Blender video tutorials, the first one being "Blender Basics Series 4", and now it's time to take a look at the second offering from CartoonSmart.com, "Blender and Second Life".

{long review snipped}

So overall an excellent video resource for Blender and Second Life users, especially given the fact that Second Life's native modeling tools don't hold a candle to those provided by Blender. As I have said previously even if you are not a Second Life fan you will find something in this tutorial, especially if you want a detailed demonstration of Projection Painting.

Review Score 80%
Edit to fix pewpy links, does SLU have vimeo BB code?

Last edited by TorturedPolygon; 02-15-2011 at 10:52 PM. Reason: pewp
TorturedPolygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 03/17/2004
Multi Chan Hax has no bleed area, so you won't match perfectly across seams, you have to touch up by hand to get it right.

I draw on the avie mesh in PS CS5.

If you are going to use a pattern on the mesh, use something really busy because it will trick the eye and the eye won't see the flaws.

Honestly most of it comes with time and learning the avie mesh, just keep practicing.
Eboni Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

How much is 3d coat? And is there a demo?

Could I get a link to it please ?

Quality rigged mesh clothing for Women in standard sizing

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/42
Eclectic Wingtips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

SL Join Date: February 13, 2006
Business: Samantha's Shirts
Client: Cool VL Viewer 1.26.12

Awards: 1
Best Drama Summary 
Found it here: 3D-Coat - Voxel sculpting, Retopology, UV-mapping, Texture painting

Apparently it's US$349, and there's a 30-day demo.
Samantha Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

SL Join Date: 2006-12-31
Client: Viewer 3
You can model mesh clothing and bake it on the avatar. This is how I made my outfit seamless.
Masami Kuramoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

I would love.more info on this. Right now I do ALL my clothing creation by hand. I can get it near seamless but its a lot of work. Id love to learn a new method
Old 02-16-2011, 12:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Indentured Servant

bitter midget

My Mood:
I absolutely love 3Dcoat! Try the demo Download, Free trial 30 days He use to also include a $50 off coupon to the email you provide for the demo.

Javis Jones also provides a discount link (he does the training vids for 3DCOat) on his site Buy 3D-Coat | Javis Jones|Portfolio
Old 02-16-2011, 01:01 AM   #15 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Having Fun

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11-12-2007
Business: La Galleria
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorturedPolygon View Post
I absolutely love 3Dcoat! Try the demo Download, Free trial 30 days He use to also include a $50 off coupon to the email you provide for the demo.

Javis Jones also provides a discount link (he does the training vids for 3DCOat) on his site Buy 3D-Coat | Javis Jones|Portfolio
I have played around with 3DCoat several times but can't figure out much on my own, and I could not find many tutorials. At least Blender has plenty of tutorials -- so that's what I keep coming back to -- well, if and when I get time to devote to learning it.

Traditional and Contemporary American and European
Prefab Homes, Dining Rooms, Kitchens,
Bedrooms, and Living Rooms

LA GALLERIA
Pamela Galli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:03 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masami Kuramoto View Post
You can model mesh clothing and bake it on the avatar. This is how I made my outfit seamless.
It exports to SL clothing templates?
Ann Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:10 AM   #17 (permalink)
Zii

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2006-ish
Business: Apricot Paws
I didn't get a trial coupon, and didn't know about that discount link. Bah! x3 The main site also charges $370 if you change the region to Australia, which makes those options an even better deal for you Eclectic.
Zii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
Dorkus Maximus

*SLU Supporter*

PermaNewb

I use both Multi Chan Hax and 3dCoat. I discovered 3dCoat a few years ago and really enjoy it for texturing, although I do some on the "model" texturing with both Zbrush and CS5.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:27 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

SL Join Date: 2006-12-31
Client: Viewer 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Otoole View Post
It exports to SL clothing templates?
The clothing templates are the avatar's UV layout. Anything you bake on LL's avatar mesh will match the templates.
Masami Kuramoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:35 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zii View Post
I didn't get a trial coupon, and didn't know about that discount link. Bah! x3 The main site also charges $370 if you change the region to Australia, which makes those options an even better deal for you Eclectic.
with the US$ so shit it is better for me to pay in US$ and pretend im from there
1 User Laughed:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 02-16-2011, 03:19 AM   #21 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2004
How feature complete is it compared to something like Maya? I know Maya is everything and the kitchen sink but I'd love something with an equatable level of power but in a much easier to use system. The voxel-based modelling looked really, really enticing. Dealing with Maya can be a big headache and I still don't think I've quite mastered it.
Joshua Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:27 AM   #22 (permalink)
Indentured Servant

bitter midget

My Mood:
3DCoat is no Maya. It's more specialized and akin to ZBrush.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-16-2011, 03:55 AM   #23 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2004
I presume it outputs to .obj though?
Joshua Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:22 AM   #24 (permalink)
Indentured Servant

bitter midget

My Mood:
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DCoat
Export Mode. Export the current object in .obj, .lwo, .stl and .ply formats.. You will be prompted to select either a low-poly mesh, or a mid-poly mesh with 30k to 80k polygons and the normal map. If you’re in “Microvertex painting mode” Export menu will have additional options:

High-poly Mesh (Export w/Microvertex). You are able to export a high-poly mesh with number of polygons shown in brackets (x4, x16, x64 times bigger).
I didn't particularly find the UI intuitive, but others claim to. I did try a demo of Zbrush and I personally preferred 3DC's ui over zbrush. I fell in love with the Maya demo, but no way in hell can I justify the commercial license. I ended up buying a Lightwave 9.6 license as it was full featured and works beautifully with 3DC. It will all depend on what you want out of the software. 3DCoat is awesome at painting and voxels, and is capable of way more than I'll ever throw at it. Overall for full features I honestly feel it's beginning to be hard to beat Blender, especially at the wealth of tutorials and cost. The UI has grown on me the more I played with it as well, although I haven't even tried to touch 2.5 yet.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #25 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 03/17/2004
Even when you project textures in Maya or any other 3D software, you still have to clean it up in PS. These tools helps but good PS skills make all the difference. You might be able to get the "size" right for lace or a pattern to look uniform over all the different sizes of the mesh but you will still need fine skills in PS to correct issues.

If your smuge/liquify/blur skills are lacking, you can spend $2500 on software to create things seamlessly and it still won't be seamless.

If you are doing basic clothes and not latex, I would just use Multi Chan Hax and touch it up. You can master multi chan in about 8 hours of experimentation, and it is free.
Eboni Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
1 User Disagreed:

Tags
clothing