Making an ideal physics shape for mesh - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Development Discussion and Support > Content Creation » Making an ideal physics shape for mesh

Content Creation Discuss building, scripting, and other forms of content creation for SL.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Making an ideal physics shape for mesh

I have been working on my first mesh object to eventually upload to Second Life. It is a bed- since the current prim bed in my bedroom looks like a summer camp cot. Right now I am working on making a physics shape.

I have read that physics shape has a huge impact on LI. But I am not entirely sure how to treat the physics shape differently from the main mesh and LOD shapes. I have taken my LOD0 shape and made corners out of the remaining curves.

What should I be keeping in mind to make a good physics shape?
Old 01-03-2018, 12:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Keep it simple, like start with a cube and extrude a section for the head board. Ignore the foot board unless you're talking a four poster bed.

In that case I'd make it phantom and use a prim collision plane. Link them and give the bed Physics Shape None.

Related hints:
  • Don't do your upload in 64 bit Firestorm if you want to preserve the physics shape, you need Firestorm Havok, or use the vanilla SL viewer.
  • Make sure your LOD Factor in your graphics preferences is 1.0 for your test uploads or on many viewers you'll end up with the LOD collapsing prematurely on viewers that do not default to 2.0.
  • Since it's for indoor use, you could probably allow the Lowest LOD setting to be blank, since it's not to be seen from far far away. This will result in large LOD savings, but don't just write in Zero. Make a tiny plane for each face you use, face them downward, so instead of exploding into triangles it will just gracefully disappear, like in pro-grade MMOs.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Does the physics shape need to have the same materials as the LOD versions?
Amity Slade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amity Slade View Post
Does the physics shape need to have the same materials as the LOD versions?
No. For clothing I frequently use a simple cube with no materials but the lone default. There are cases where you might as well just use your lowest level LOD, though, rather than actively stripping materials off for a special physics shape.
Kamilah Hauptmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

In need of a new avatar

After you've uploaded with physics using the excellent suggestions above, make sure to set the object to prim to use the shape and you can check if its good by going to the developer menu/render metadata/physics shapes. The closer to deep blue it is, the less negative impact it will have.If its orange or red, you probably need to start over.
Eunoli Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-11-2018, 01:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Mood:
Business: OPQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amity Slade View Post
I have been working on my first mesh object to eventually upload to Second Life. It is a bed

What should I be keeping in mind to make a good physics shape?
For a bed, use a cube. Unless you are planning to walk all over it that is.

You don't even have to worry about the size since the uploader will automatically resize the physics model to the same overall size as the main model.

Any surface an avatar (or a physical object) isn't going to walk on top of or bump into, is superfluous in the physics shape.

Animations and sit positions are not affected by physics at all btw, so there is no need to worry about those.
ChinRey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

In need of a new avatar

Also, worth noting that when you have a linked object and there are parts of it that don't need physics, you can set them to 'none' if they aren't the root of the linkset.
Eunoli Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This: