Sculpt texture in 3DS Max - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Development Discussion and Support > Content Creation » Sculpt texture in 3DS Max

Content Creation Discuss building, scripting, and other forms of content creation for SL.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2008, 03:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Sculpt texture in 3DS Max

Please, does someone knows if it's possible to create sculpt textures in Autodesk 3ds Max?

If yes, how?

Thanks
Kramu Clip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
That template guy

Meshing Around

My Mood:
Business: CMFF
Max is just about the best tool there is for making sculpties and provides several different ways to do it.

There's lots of info about this on the LL forums in this thread: SL Forums

If you don't have access to the LL forums, here's a summary -

There's Abu Nasu's sculptie shader that uses a surface approximation method very similar to the nurbs surface method used in Maya. It will create a reasonable approximation of any object, regardless of the actual vertex count, as long as it has the correct UV mapping. You can use uncapped cylinders, spheres, planes, loft objects, or single nurbs surfaces. You can find the shader here: Second Life - TechSlop

I have a tutorial that uses Abu's shader along with Max's projection modifier to create sculpties from arbitrary meshes. It's the method I used to do the one prim head that's shown in the SL wiki. You can find it here: Creating Sculpties From Arbitrary Meshes in 3ds Max 9

Gearsaw Stonecutter has a template that can be used as a base for sculpty making along with a tutorial which you can find here: 3DsMax 5 Prim Scuplt Tutorial for Second Life.

Shack Dougall has a MaxScript that creates very accurate sculpties by using the actual vertex locations to create a sculpt map. It also allows sculpt maps to be loaded into Max. You can find it here: http://liferain.com/downloads/sculptgenmax/
Chip Midnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Holy God! The great master Chip is talking with me!!!!

Very, very thanks, Chip, for your information
Kramu Clip is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 05-06-2008, 02:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
That template guy

Meshing Around

My Mood:
My pleasure, Kramu
Old 06-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Sorry to intrude..

Was just wondering what the segment limit was for 3DS Max and as this thread is similar to what i'm looking for i thought i'd ask.

I know that things such as Wings3D or ZBrush use different equations like 63x64. So what should i use for 3DS Max?

I guess i could just import one of the pre-made spheres.. Might be easier that way but not as easy to sculpt as it is in ZBrush lol.
TacticalSiege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
That template guy

Meshing Around

My Mood:
It only matters if you're using SculptGen, and I think that will generate base meshes for you (not sure on that though). If not I think you'd use the same base topology you'd use in Wings. Since most of the stuff I do is organic and doesn't need precision I use the shader method, and then it doesn't matter what the vertex count is. You just don't want to create something that sculpties have insufficient resolution to approximate well.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

I will leave this to explain to those who know max a lot better than I do, but I have found using sculptgen you can add things like turbo smooth to your mesh and still get a clean sculpt from it.

I Know from how it kills my computer that it adds a great many more vertices to the model in the viewport and rendering, but I'm not all that sure how it affects the uvmap
remus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
self become: Object new

SL Join Date: 2004-08-04
Business: Liferain
Exclamation Prim Composer for 3ds Max

Wow, it's been forever since I posted on SLU... Anyway ...

SculptGenMax uses a gap-filling vertex algorithm. It can generate sculptmaps from meshes that are both higher or lower resolution than a standard sculptie as well as mixed resolutions, as long as the UV map is somewhat regular and the general topology of the mesh is compatible with that of a sculpted prim.

You can start with a pre-made sculptie mesh or roll your own.

SculptGenMax is now a part of Prim Composer, a complete offline builder for Second Life and OpenSim. Create regular prims and sculpts within 3dsMax and import them into either Second Life or OpenSim as linked sets. Hierarchical grouping and gizmo scaling are supported within 3ds Max.

1.0 Beta 4 of Prim Composer was released yesterday and implements UV maps for regular prims so that you can apply materials to them and render. The next release will support uploading textures to Second Life and OpenSim for all prim types.

Last edited by Shack Dougall; 08-10-2008 at 12:22 AM.
Shack Dougall is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-13-2008, 08:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
F is for Frans

working on it

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2005-01-28
Very cool Shack, I'm trying it out. Been a while since I did anything in 3ds max, I feel rusty. But a good chance to get back up to speed.