Graphic Novels - Page 6 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Books » Graphic Novels

Books Discuss what you are reading (or pretending to read).

Sponsor:
Shop Amazon.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2016, 02:17 PM   #126 (permalink)

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
If you enjoyed the first three Snowpiercer graphic novels (or two? in English?) and the movie, you'll really like Terminus. Same illustrator Jean-Marc Rochette as the rest of the series. Really loved it.

Snowpiercer 3: Terminus Hardcover
by Olivier Bocquet (Author), Jean-Marc Rochette (Illustrator)

Isabeau Imako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:55 AM   #127 (permalink)

My Mood:
Atomic Robo is mostly free and has the best recurring villain, Dr. Dinosaur

Atomic Robo - v1ch1 Cover

Jorus Xi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-23-2017, 07:15 PM   #128 (permalink)

'James Bond: Moneypenny' Comic Book To Give Bond's Greatest Supporter Her Due | Hollywood Reporter
Quote:
James Bond: Moneypenny will be written by Jody Houser, who is no stranger to working on high-profile licensed projects; she's the woman responsible for both IDW's best-selling Orphan Black comic book, and also Marvel's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story adaptation. Art for the issue will come from newcomer Jacob Edgar, with a cover by Tula Lotay.

In a statement from Dynamite, Houser said that, "As someone who came to James Bond late (much to the horror of many of my friends), the idea that I'd get to play in that world is amazing. Writing a character like Moneypenny and exploring what makes her different from the more familiar MI6 operative has been a blast. In this story, we'll get a look at exactly how she operates and some of the events that made her the woman she is."

Just for the cover alone...

3 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Likes This:
Old 06-13-2017, 05:37 PM   #129 (permalink)

Are you woman enough to survive reading this comic series?

Bitch Planet Kelly Sue DeConnick/Valentine De Landro

A combination of 70's exploitation, Orange is the New Black, Handmaid's Tale...

Love it - really good.

1 User Said Yay!:
Old 06-13-2017, 08:31 PM   #130 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
Bah, I'd all but forgotten this thread existed! (Do note that I am a bunny of very little brain)

I posted regarding Space Boy over in the What Are You Reading thread, but maybe it belongs here?

It's essentially a slice-of-life story, set in the sort-of future - the world's design, and the strip overall, has a lot of 1950s/1960s sensibilities, but there are plenty of sci-fi elements as well, such as pervasive AR, and relatively routine deep space travel. It follows Amy, who finds herself separated from her childhood friends as a result of a mining accident that causes the family to be sent back to Earth, and Oliver, who.. has more than a touch of mystery pertaining to his origins, likely semi-explained in the opening panels.

As she grew up on the mining colony, her arrival on Earth brings a great deal of new experiences - and the wrenching realisation that whilst she's still the same age as when she left, having been in cryosleep for the duration, her friends back on the colony are now thirty years older.

There's a great deal of emotional empathy involved, much as with Steven Universe. And then there's the artwork, with an appealingly fresh style, flat colored with shading highlights, drawn from a deliberately constrained palette. (And as a bonus, the creator receives quite a bit of fan art, some of which he'll occasionally post, and comment on in sketch form. It's really quite charming!)

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. Perhaps it'll engage you too. ^_^

"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-17-2017, 08:26 AM   #131 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
I forgot about it as well! As I mentioned in another thread I just read trades of Supergirl volume 1 and Kim&Kim volume 1.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-30-2017, 08:05 PM   #132 (permalink)

I'm not a huge fan of superhero type comics, but this is a tad different. Besides, it's written (with some art by) Jeff Lemire who's great. Really fun... the second volume is coming out in January.

Black Hammer Volume 1: Secret Origins

1 User Said Thanks: