What are you reading now? - Page 46 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Books » What are you reading now?

Books Discuss what you are reading (or pretending to read).

Sponsor:
Shop Amazon.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #1126 (permalink)
Easily Distracted

Just Sans

My Mood:
SL Join Date: April 2005
Client: Official client
Woke up to this on my Kindle. I loved the other two books (three, there's a novella that I haven't finished yet). I'd forgotten I pre-ordered this after the last book.

Sansarya is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 04-02-2017, 08:14 PM   #1127 (permalink)
captured like a Pokemans.

bitches love to be called beautiful.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: early 2006.

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Just finished The Last Victim.

I wouldn't recommend it. Not because it's bad -- it isn't -- but because it's immensely disturbing both because of the subject matter and what's behind the spoiler. I have a pretty tough disposition when it comes to true crime, but this book actually made me put it down and cry a couple times.

I can't believe the things that you'll say
To keep me around and close to your side.

-- Film School - Compare.

When a country is full of food, and exporting it, there can be no famine.
-- George Bernard Shaw.
Deca! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:28 AM   #1128 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

SL Join Date: 2007-02-06
Ran out of books when I was taking care of my parents' house a week ago and found a bunch of Dresden Files novels by Jim Butcher on my tablet (I forget why I got them, and when, but I think maybe someone mentioned them on this forum).

The more I read, the more I got convinced they had to be written by Laurell K. Hamilton (Anita Blake series), although Dresden lacks the atmosphere, for lack of a better word, of the early Anita Blake novels.
They're just kind of flat in comparison, but the language is similar; nothing fancy.

Turns out Jim Butcher isn't a pseudonym, but that he was "encouraged to write a novel similar to the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series" in a writing class (according to Wikipedia). Which seems pretty odd, but he certainly went for it. It's all rather workmanlike.

Anita Blake, for all its faults (and before it became mostly pr0n), was rather good at making things feel tense, especially encounters with vampire and werewolf councils (or whatever they were called); just a (mostly) human caught in a situation way over her head, with beings who could tear said head off very easily if she stepped wrong (and also if she didn't).
Dresden isn't good at that.
Blake's universe also feels more fleshed out (I thought Hamilton had some pretty clever ideas about werewolves, in particular).

Still, the Dresden novels are enjoyable enough to keep reading and I feel like the author may be getting a bit more into things as the series continues.
I just hope it doesn't go down the same hole (no pun intended) Blake did.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:24 PM   #1129 (permalink)

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Just finished Company Town by Madeline Ashby. Apart from a couple of minor thingies, I really enjoyed it. A mix of cyberpunk and mystery taking place on a giant rig/town owned by one company off the coast of Newfoundland and Labrador. Some of the side themes involving prostitution reminded me of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - if you remember, the original title was Men Who Hate Women. Anyhoo... I recommend it.
Quote:
New Arcadia is a city-sized oil rig off the coast of the Canadian Maritimes, now owned by one very wealthy, powerful, byzantine family: Lynch Ltd.

Hwa is of the few people in her community (which constitutes the whole rig) to forgo bio-engineered enhancements. As such, she's the last truly organic person left on the rig--making her doubly an outsider, as well as a neglected daughter and bodyguard extraordinaire. Still, her expertise in the arts of self-defense and her record as a fighter mean that her services are yet in high demand. When the youngest Lynch needs training and protection, the family turns to Hwa. But can even she protect against increasingly intense death threats seemingly coming from another timeline?

Meanwhile, a series of interconnected murders threatens the city's stability and heightens the unease of a rig turning over. All signs point to a nearly invisible serial killer, but all of the murders seem to lead right back to Hwa's front door. Company Town has never been the safest place to be--but now, the danger is personal.

A brilliant, twisted mystery, as one woman must evaluate saving the people of a town that can't be saved, or saving herself.
Isabeau Imako is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-24-2017, 03:25 PM   #1130 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue View Post
Finally got my hands on a copy.
What's weird is, I'm only a few pages in, and one of the characters (the captain) is named Ashby. As you can see, the author of the previous book I was reading was also named Ashby. Coinkydink? I think n... well yes, okay, it IS a coincidence. I won't be buying any lottery tickets.

But still, weird.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:33 PM   #1131 (permalink)

My Mood:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...Queen_of_Scots

-- George Bernard Shaw.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:40 AM   #1132 (permalink)

SL Join Date: Sept 2008
Just finished "Dark Matter", by Blake Crouch. A brilliant physicist who might have done amazing things had he stayed with the concept he'd formulated instead lets that derail when the girl he's dating tells him she's pregnant. He stays with her, they marry, the baby is a boy. She was an artist and dreamed of having her own studio; she's a Mom who takes care of her house and family and teaches art at a local school. He dreamed of pursuing his idea about time and quantum physics; now he teaches various forms of science at a minor college.

Both of them are manifestly happy and their son (fourteen at the start of the book) shares in, and is one of the reasons for, their happiness.

And then the existence of the multiverse makes itself known. Strange things happen, bad things happen.

Love is an important part of this story and Dillon is always a little sappy if there's a big love interest in a story. I recommend it.

ETA: Oops! I was browsing back through the thread and Isabeau posted on this book last October! It's on page 44. I'll go out on a limb here, to where it's bouncing bad enough to indicate breakage might be imminent, but based on things I've seen her say, I think that she liked that love interest bit just as much as I did.

ETA 2: It's interesting that her post was in October. The kid's birthday as stated in the book is in October. The youngest was born on the same day (different year) as the kid in the novel. That kinda grabbed me.

Last edited by Dillon Levenque; 04-27-2017 at 01:58 AM.
Dillon Levenque is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-27-2017, 06:44 AM   #1133 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
I just finished The Circle, which conveniently is apparently going to be a movie very soon. I didn't know this when I started reading it a bit ago.

The book is basically about a fake Google/Facebook hybrid taken to it's extreme level of aggressive social needyness. It's pretty good but I feel like the end was really anti-climactic, and didn't really give the story any ultimate point, or maybe just failed to show what it's point was.

There are also a lot of little subtle plot threads that seem to go nowhere, maybe there's plans for a sequel or something, I don't know.

It does do a pretty good job of essentially starting with one perception of the world presented and transforming it into kind of the opposite perception, though I feel like part of it is the increasing banality of most of the cast and their obsessive need for social acceptance.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 04-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #1134 (permalink)
Easily Distracted

Just Sans

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen Jedburgh View Post
I just finished The Circle, which conveniently is apparently going to be a movie very soon. I didn't know this when I started reading it a bit ago.

The book is basically about a fake Google/Facebook hybrid taken to it's extreme level of aggressive social needyness. It's pretty good but I feel like the end was really anti-climactic, and didn't really give the story any ultimate point, or maybe just failed to show what it's point was.

There are also a lot of little subtle plot threads that seem to go nowhere, maybe there's plans for a sequel or something, I don't know.

It does do a pretty good job of essentially starting with one perception of the world presented and transforming it into kind of the opposite perception, though I feel like part of it is the increasing banality of most of the cast and their obsessive need for social acceptance.
I read it a while ago. What struck me was the lack of characterization. Everyone was one-dimensional, but I didn't know if that was a comment on today's college graduates or Silicon Valley or just poor writing. I suspect it's meant to be that way, but it's Eggars and he's usually got such good characters, and in this story it kept me from caring about any of the characters. I hope the movie is better.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 04-27-2017, 01:32 PM   #1135 (permalink)
Easily Distracted

Just Sans

My Mood:
My next book is going to be The Book of Joan by Lydia Yuknavotch.

https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi..._9QJazb3RABMQW

I'm super excited to read it, but I'm mid-reread of The Hunger Games and the OCD bit of me won't let me start a new one until the last is finished (yes, even though I've read it fifty times).

NYT Book Review gave it a rave: https://nyti.ms/2q0kBGN

I was in my last semester at MFA school and she came and gave a reading. I really love her writing.

Last edited by Sansarya; 04-27-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:41 PM   #1136 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansarya View Post
I read it a while ago. What struck me was the lack of characterization. Everyone was one-dimensional, but I didn't know if that was a comment on today's college graduates or Silicon Valley or just poor writing. I suspect it's meant to be that way, but it's Eggars and he's usually got such good characters, and in this story it kept me from caring about any of the characters. I hope the movie is better.
I think the movie could be helped by giving us the ending that is expected after all of the build up. It would also help give the main character some actual growth.

But yeah, I agree about the one dimensional part. Also how easily and eagerly everyone just sort of... went along with everything.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:57 PM   #1137 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansarya View Post
My next book is going to be The Book of Joan by Lydia Yuknavotch.

https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi..._9QJazb3RABMQW

I'm super excited to read it, but I'm mid-reread of The Hunger Games and the OCD bit of me won't let me start a new one until the last is finished (yes, even though I've read it fifty times).

NYT Book Review gave it a rave: https://nyti.ms/2q0kBGN

I was in my last semester at MFA school and she came and gave a reading. I really love her writing.
Thanks, hadn't heard about her. Just reserved it! And the review you linked to was written by Jeff Vandermeer...
1 User Likes This:
Old 04-30-2017, 07:34 PM   #1138 (permalink)
a sherpa of your emotions

*SLU Supporter*

rotisserie compulsive

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 9/29/2007
Business: Culprit
Client: LL beta

In Queso Emergency 
rereading A Handmaid's Tale after originally reading it aeons ago.
(I like to reread things just before they come out in movie or tv form, even though i know its just going to irritate the fuck out of me when they don't stick to the book or change it too much)

I remember when I first read it, it lived up to it's (then) discription of science fiction.
Now not so. There are very uncomfortable echos of present reality and politics hiding like rocks under an extremely thin mattress..
It feels way more disturbing and provocative than it did back when I originally read it.
It might be me, but I doubt it, as I was a much more political animal back in the day.

PS
I also just reread IT .. and actually enjoyed it much more than the first time too. I had forgotten a lot of the details of the story. This is also preparation for whinging/applauding when the movie comes out.
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-20-2017, 01:47 PM   #1139 (permalink)

A collection of short stories from the James Bond universe. I'm not a die hard fan - I think I've only read one of the original books - I know Bond mostly through movies. Warning for obsessive types and nitpickers, Ian Fleming did NOT write these. Although, some of them still take place in the past, and Bond's bigotry and sexism is left in, as well as his other mannerisms, etc. One of the stories is from the ''latest'' Miss Moneypenny's POV, who thinks the reason Bond can't tell her from the last secretary is because he suffers from prosopagnosia when it comes to women. That one was a tad silly, but I laughed. There's also one where he actually doesn't save the world, and we are all going to die!

Anyhoo, 'twas fun, and I liked muchly.

Licence Expired: The Unauthorized James Bond

1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-20-2017, 01:54 PM   #1140 (permalink)

Also, just started this, am a few chapters in. A tad weird, but the writing's really good. I love the imagery and the take on an apocalyptic Joan of Ark, but the characters themselves feel off to me.

The Book of Joan: A Novel by Lidia Yuknavitch
Quote:
In the near future, world wars have transformed the earth into a battleground. Fleeing the unending violence and the planet’s now-radioactive surface, humans have regrouped to a mysterious platform known as CIEL, hovering over their erstwhile home. The changed world has turned evolution on its head: the surviving humans have become sexless, hairless, pale-white creatures floating in isolation, inscribing stories upon their skin.

Out of the ranks of the endless wars rises Jean de Men, a charismatic and bloodthirsty cult leader who turns CIEL into a quasi-corporate police state. A group of rebels unite to dismantle his iron rule—galvanized by the heroic song of Joan, a child-warrior who possesses a mysterious force that lives within her and communes with the earth. When de Men and his armies turn Joan into a martyr, the consequences are astonishing. And no one—not the rebels, Jean de Men, or even Joan herself—can foresee the way her story and unique gift will forge the destiny of an entire world for generations.

2 Users Like This:
Old 05-20-2017, 02:22 PM   #1141 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm not finished.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
I decided to start on something new for me: Ameritopia.

Bah, hell no! Not that one. This one:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25721479-ameritopia
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-20-2017, 03:05 PM   #1142 (permalink)
Particle Laboratory Elf

Re-arranging deck chairs.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 15 2004
Business: Light Sorcery

I needed some escapist fantasy... v.E.Schwab's "a darker shade of magic"
Jopsy Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-20-2017, 03:28 PM   #1143 (permalink)

whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabeau Imako View Post
A collection of short stories from the James Bond universe. I'm not a die hard fan - I think I've only read one of the original books - I know Bond mostly through movies. Warning for obsessive types and nitpickers, Ian Fleming did NOT write these. Although, some of them still take place in the past, and Bond's bigotry and sexism is left in, as well as his other mannerisms, etc. One of the stories is from the ''latest'' Miss Moneypenny's POV, who thinks the reason Bond can't tell her from the last secretary is because he suffers from prosopagnosia when it comes to women. That one was a tad silly, but I laughed. There's also one where he actually doesn't save the world, and we are all going to die!

Anyhoo, 'twas fun, and I liked muchly.

Licence Expired: The Unauthorized James Bond

Likely only available in Canada since that's where the copyright expired (other places having a longer copyright). Amazon.com doesn't sell it (lists it, doesn't sell it), Amazon.ca sells it.
Lexxi Gynoid is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #1144 (permalink)

My Mood:

The Fiery Cross: the KKK in America.

The amount of times N.C is mentioned, specifically places within an hour's drive of here, is scary.

-- George Bernard Shaw.
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 05-21-2017, 10:26 AM   #1145 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 2007

If you're looking for something to pick up that should be interesting.

Distraction Pieces UK

Distraction Pieces US

Its the book deal of the day on amazon uk at least, £0.99.

And seems to be $1.29 on the us store.

And in case you are still dubious after my wonderful recommendations there are a bunch of reviews on the UK site,

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-21-2017, 10:38 AM   #1146 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm not finished.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy View Post
And seems to be $1.29 on the us store.
Price looks to be $0.00 with an Amazon Prime account...hmm...*click*
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 05-22-2017, 03:07 PM   #1147 (permalink)

SL Join Date: Sept 2008
Finally latched onto Derek B. Miller's first novel, "Norwegian by Night" (he wrote "The Girl in Green"; I reviewed that here a while back and absolutely loved it). This one started in much the same way: had me almost laughing in the first couple dozen pages and then got serious, sad, and dangerous less then ten pages later.

I've only started but I just read a passage that floored me. Since you're obviously a literate bunch and a lot of you are from the US I thought I'd run it by you. The central character is a American jew and a Korean War vet, in his 80's. Lived in New York most of his life. His only child died in Viet Nam after fathering a daughter on a visit home. She grew up in New York with her mother. Now she is married and lives in Oslo with her Norwegian husband. When she comes back to New York for her grandmother's funeral she persuades her grandfather to come and live with them in Norway. She doesn't think he can handle being all alone, and in fact she's probably right.

Without getting into all the details, he disappears from their apartment in the middle of the day, with the front door kicked to pieces. The granddaughter is being interviewed by the police. She hands them a note he left.

It says, "I reckon I got to light out for the Territory, because they's going
to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can't stand it. I been there
before."

What jarred me is that the granddaughter has no idea what it means or of its source. I consider that one of the most instantly recognizable passages in American literature.

Anyone who isn't familiar with it (and curious) can just google the first clause.
Dillon Levenque is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-22-2017, 05:19 PM   #1148 (permalink)
a sherpa of your emotions

*SLU Supporter*

rotisserie compulsive

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 9/29/2007
Business: Culprit
Client: LL beta

In Queso Emergency 
I just read A Dog's Purpose and enjoyed it far more than I expected to.
It was whimsical and clever with a clear thread that becomes more apparent at the end of the book.
I then watched the movie, which totally botched the story.. sigh.

A Dog's Purpose (A Dog's Purpose, #1) by W. Bruce Cameron
Old 05-23-2017, 04:39 PM   #1149 (permalink)

Wanted for Makeup Crimes

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Feb 2008
Business: Dark Alice, HorrorAddicts.net
Client: Firestorm, Crystal Ball
Starting The Annotated Alice today...but I keep forgetting to use the SLU Amazon referral to buy my books, dammit. I'm making a note...

https://www.amazon.com/Annotated-Ali...+in+wonderland
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-23-2017, 04:59 PM   #1150 (permalink)
Senior Discount

Jesus is coming. Look busy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauve Aeon View Post
Starting The Annotated Alice today...but I keep forgetting to use the SLU Amazon referral to buy my books, dammit. I'm making a note...

https://www.amazon.com/Annotated-Ali...+in+wonderland
OMG. I LOVE that book. I get totally lost in it every time I get it down off the shelf. I have a colossal, two-volume Annotated Sherlock Holmes, too, but I haven't seen it for sale for years.

U.S. Only
Casey Pelous is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This: