GamerGate Spills Over Into The Hugo Awards - Page 4 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Books » GamerGate Spills Over Into The Hugo Awards

Books Discuss what you are reading (or pretending to read).

Sponsor:
Shop Amazon.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2015, 04:55 PM   #76 (permalink)

Confused

A sad state of affairs and hopefully the changes to the nominating process will mitigate the chances of this happening again.

I feel particularly sorry for people like Annie Bellet, who initially supported the Sad Puppies and then withdrew due to all the hoo-ha. Data revealed that she would have been on the ballot without the aid of the puppies, although she did get an Alfie award from George R.R. Martin as consolation.
Ciaran Laval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:09 PM   #77 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
Best Graphic Story - Ms. Marvel Volume 1: No Normal, written by G. Willow Wilson, illustrated by Adrian Alphona and Jake Wyatt, (Marvel Comics)
Can't see this one making them happy either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMTWNBBFN
I've got in common with the bugger on my bayonette
Than the toff you's telling me to stick it in his guts.

The Men That Will Not Be Blamed for Nothing, Mutiny in the Common Soldiery
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Agreed:
Old 08-23-2015, 05:49 PM   #78 (permalink)

Confused

On a happier note, there are some nice photos from the event here :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135602186@N03/

Although I have to say there seems to be a distinct lack of youth!
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-23-2015, 08:10 PM   #79 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich Templar View Post
Did I miss something?
OK, after more digging, I'm less sorry for Jim Butcher, and I think he should have withdrawn his nomination. I thought he was simply ignorant of the issues, since his website doesn't mention them, but he seems to have been involved in a discussion about them on Eric Flint's site so he knew where that nomination came from.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #80 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
I felt sorry for Jim Butcher because, while I don't think Skin Game is his best novel, it certainly deserved better than being nominated by Vox Day.
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 08-24-2015, 01:03 PM   #81 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm not finished.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Decent coverage of this story by Wired, along with their usual simplifications and misses:

Who Won Science Fiction's Hugo Awards, and Why It Matters | WIRED
Old 08-30-2015, 10:11 AM   #82 (permalink)

SL Join Date: Originally Dec 2006
Client: Firestorm
Just joined the forum and stumbled across this thread.
I've had some SF stories published professionally in recent years so actually know several of the "Sad Puppies" through my membership of the Writers of the Future forum. Over there there hasn't been much discussion about what SF should be and shouldn't be. There its mostly discussion of how to win the contest and make a "career" in fiction writing. So inevitably perhaps my own response to the whole affair has been one of mild cynicism. Anyway, after the awards I finally did a blog post in partial response. https://ecaimansands.wordpress.com/
Daisy Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-30-2015, 10:45 AM   #83 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Who Really Runs the Hugo Awards? | The Dream Café

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Like This:
Old 05-09-2016, 05:45 PM   #84 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
After their plan to monopolize the Hugo Awards last year failed in spectacular fashion, the "(x)-Puppies" groups threw a bizarre months-long tantrum and have renewed their effort to screw with the nominations, this year apparently aiming to de-legitimize the award altogether by forcing through bizarre nominations - several for Vox Day himself of course - others for gay Kindle erotica, My Little Pony episodes, a book called "Safe Space as Rape Room", some works that are essentially protracted racist rants, and other thoughtful additions. Rule changes coming into effect next year are anticipated to eliminate the power of "bloc voting" like this; but it appears that for now at least a few categories of the 2016 awards are mostly an irretrievable wreck.

One of the bright spots is that joke-erotica writer Chuck Tingle, whose e-book "Space Raptor Butt Invasion" was vindictively nominated by Vox Day's group to the Best Short Story category, has spent the last week trolling Vox Day on Twitter and has announced that Zoe Quinn has agreed to accept the award on-stage on his behalf should he win.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-10-2016, 03:10 PM   #85 (permalink)

Confused

The Sad Puppies did things differently this year, they had a list of recommendations, which many sites do. George RR Martin addressed this :

Quote:
Sad Puppies 4, this year headed by Kate Paulk, changed its approach and produced a recommended reading list, with anywhere from one to ten suggestions in each category, rather than slating four or five. The process was open and democratic, which Sad Puppies 3 often claimed to be but never was. Paulk also avoided the ugly excesses of the previous campaign, and never stooped to the sort of invective that her predecessor, Brad Torgersen, had been so fond of, with all his talk of CHORFs and Puppy-kickers. For all this she should be commended,
The Puppy Wars Resume - Not A Blog

As George RR Martin points out, the Sad Puppies were only successful when their choices overlapped with Vox Day's slate, on their own they achieved very little, which should really put paid to the claims that a small clique holds the balance.

Vox Day, with far larger and more bitter support did get plenty of nominations through. The Chuck Tingle business has been fun to watch, including Chuck Tingle now having written a book entitled "Slammed in the Butt by My Hugo Award Nomination. '

Chuck Tingle counter-trolls the Gamergaters who nominated his erotica for a Hugo Award

The nomination process next year should be different, it remains to be seen whether any new system stops Vox Day's spoiling tactics.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:29 PM   #86 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

One of my nominations got in. Now I'm pondering getting another voting membership this year. And if I do, do I vote for Chuck Tingle? Are there any non-puppy nominees in that category?

Old 05-11-2016, 12:05 PM   #87 (permalink)

Confused

A list of the nominations can be found here :

Measuring The Rabid Puppies Slate

That lists in red those that were not on the Rabid Puppies slate. there aren't many in Red.