GamerGate Spills Over Into The Hugo Awards - Page 3 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Books » GamerGate Spills Over Into The Hugo Awards

Books Discuss what you are reading (or pretending to read).

Sponsor:
Shop Amazon.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2015, 05:37 PM   #51 (permalink)

Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahar Aabye View Post
If nobody like him, then why is he nominated for several Hugo awards this year...and part of Sad Puppy's slate?
They had some stories published by his publishing firm but they did not nominate Vox Day for anything.
Ciaran Laval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:19 PM   #52 (permalink)
Elysium Hynes is Typing..

My animal spirit is the lolcat

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/7/2007
Client: V3
Send a message via Skype™ to Elysium Hynes
He was part of the sad puppies for the past 2 lists and has been a racist for longer tho.

Elysium Hynes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-19-2015, 08:59 PM   #53 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

A Small Field Squirrel

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March '07
Business: The Kino Haus
Client: the one you hate

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium Hynes View Post
He was part of the sad puppies for the past 2 lists and has been a racist for longer tho.
It's worth pointing out that he's not just a racist, he's a neanderthal supremacist. He believes that Europeans are inherently superior because of the presence of neanderthal genetic material in their DNA.

Generally speaking, even people ostensibly on his side consider Vox Day to be poison. Hence why Rabid Puppies exist.
Myf is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said WTF?:
Old 04-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #54 (permalink)
Elysium Hynes is Typing..

My animal spirit is the lolcat

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/7/2007
Client: V3
Send a message via Skype™ to Elysium Hynes
When he calls POC savages again and again calling him a racist is just easier.

Elysium Hynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:14 AM   #55 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Awards: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran Laval View Post
They had some stories published by his publishing firm but they did not nominate Vox Day for anything.
Who is "they"? "They" is the "Rabid Puppies", of which Vox Day is the figurehead. The slate that won is Vox Day's slate - he published it and pushed it. He played a starring role in this drama.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:17 AM   #56 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Moving on: Black Gate has withdrawn from consideration

Quote:
On April 4th, Black Gate was nominated for a 2015 Hugo Award for Best Fanzine. One of our bloggers, Matthew David Surridge, was also nominated as Best Fan Writer but, as he explained, he declined the nomination before the ballot was announced.

Since the nomination for Black Gate was for the entire site, which produces over 120 articles per month by a team of over 40 volunteers, I did not decline the nomination, although personally I shared many of the Matthew’s concerns. However, over the last two weeks I’ve had the opportunity to hear from many of our bloggers, and by and large they share many of those concerns as well.

Accordingly, on Saturday, April 18th, I informed the administrators at Sasquan that we have withdrawn Black Gate from consideration for the 2015 Hugo Award.

As I explained in my previous post, Sad Puppies and Super Puppies: The 2015 Hugo Train Wreck, (and in our original announcement), I have serious concerns about the legitimacy of the 2015 Hugo ballot, as it was largely dictated by a single individual, Vox Day, who campaigned for a slate of nominees on his website (the Rabid Puppies slate). To a lesser extent, it was also influenced by Brad Togersen’s Sad Puppies slate. Together, the two slates successfully placed 61 nominees on the ballot. Black Gate was part of the Rabid Puppies ballot, although we were unaware of our inclusion until we were informed of our nomination.

In short, over the last two weeks I have come to agree with those arguing that the use of a slate — and particularly a slate that has 11 nominees from Vox Day’s Castalia House, and nominates him personally for two awards — is a serious threat to the perceived integrity of the Hugo Awards.

The Hugo Award is the most broadly recognized and respected award in science fiction, despite occasional fannish complaints about bias one way or another and other politics over the years, and in the last two weeks it’s become apparent that this is a full blown scandal that could permanently tarnish the reputation of the award.
More at the link; worth a read.

Yes, you heard that right - Vox Day's "let's send a message" slate just so happened to include 11 entries from his own publishing shop and himself, twice. Yeah that just has "integrity" written ALLLLL over it.

Last edited by Dakota Tebaldi; 04-20-2015 at 02:40 AM.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-20-2015, 03:15 AM   #57 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran Laval View Post
Vox Day, nobody likes him.
Gamergate seem to.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-20-2015, 03:35 AM   #58 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

The people who slavishly voted for an entire list of nominees for no other reason than Vox Day telling them they should, seem to.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:14 PM   #59 (permalink)

Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
Who is "they"? "They" is the "Rabid Puppies", of which Vox Day is the figurehead. The slate that won is Vox Day's slate - he published it and pushed it. He played a starring role in this drama.
In this case "they" were the sad puppies. The Sad Puppies didn't nominate Vox Day. Vox Day appears to have nominated Vox Day,
Ciaran Laval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:06 PM   #60 (permalink)

nuuuuuuuu

My Mood:
Business: lassitude & ennui
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myf View Post
It's worth pointing out that he's not just a racist, he's a neanderthal supremacist. He believes that Europeans are inherently superior because of the presence of neanderthal genetic material in their DNA.
How is that even a thing?!
Jackal Ennui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:41 PM   #61 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Well, science-fiction writer...
1 User Disagreed:
Old 04-20-2015, 04:50 PM   #62 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal Ennui View Post
Makes as much sense as any other racism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMTWNBBFN
We face an unprecedented moment in this country. Today's greatest threat is not climate change, not pollution, not flood or fire. It's that we've got people in charge of important shit who don't believe in science.

Harrison Ford
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:01 AM   #63 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

A Small Field Squirrel

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March '07
Business: The Kino Haus
Client: the one you hate

Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal Ennui View Post
It hinges on the fact that neanderthals has slightly greater cranial capacity than modern humans. When research a few years ago turned up neanderthal dna in people of European descent, this was seen by a certain breed of white supremacist as "proof" the white people "must" be intellectually superior. )f course blue whales have bigger brain too, that's why they're our rule...oh wait...

It's a stupid idea, it layers moronic pseudoscience, over incredible racism. It's worth pointing out i think, because it illustrates exactly what sort of person Vox Day is.
Myf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:28 AM   #64 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
It hinges on the fact that neanderthals has slightly greater cranial capacity than modern humans. When research a few years ago turned up neanderthal dna in people of European descent, this was seen by a certain breed of white supremacist as "proof" the white people "must" be intellectually superior. )f course blue whales have bigger brain too, that's why they're our rule...oh wait...

It's a stupid idea, it layers moronic pseudoscience, over incredible racism. It's worth pointing out i think, because it illustrates exactly what sort of person Vox Day is.
So, also using their logic, neanderthals are superior to all modern day humans?

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:44 AM   #65 (permalink)
Old Cynic

*SLU Supporter*

Client: Firestorm

Special Achievemnt In Group Action 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
So, also using their logic, neanderthals are superior to all modern day humans?
Well, they're certainly superior to some modern day humans...

Erich Templar
Textures, prefabs, more textures....
http://www.templarcreations.com
Templar Creations Main Store (SLURL)
SL Marketplace Merchant Page
Erich Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:36 PM   #66 (permalink)

My Mood:

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:

It's really ironic, too, because a hundred years ago, when Neanderthals were still viewed as wild savages, racists like this guy likened their features to those of black people to argue for the superiority of the "white race".

This is just another example of ass-backwards ideological zealots who start with a conclusion and then twist the facts to match it.
“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!” -- C. Johnson
detrius is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 04-22-2015, 04:00 PM   #67 (permalink)
feral ballerina

Hello, I'm the groove operator. Please hold the line.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March 2004
Business: D3volution

Quote:
Originally Posted by detrius View Post
It's really ironic, too, because a hundred years ago, when Neanderthals were still viewed as wild savages, racists like this guy likened their features to those of black people to argue for the superiority of the "white race".

This is just another example of ass-backwards ideological zealots who start with a conclusion and then twist the facts to match it.

I knew that, but I hadn't thought it through so clearly as you have.
Princess Govi The Confuser of Language, The Curse of The Tower of Babel, Who Brought Entire Nations To a Standstill As Their Residents Froze in Fear, Unable to Communicate, Unable to Speak, Unable to Order Quadruple Tall Non-Fat Double Splenda Caramel Macchiatos With a Sprig of Mint and a Sprinkle of Cinnamon, Hold the Foam, and Ensuring the Downfall of Society Which Inevitably Follows a Shortage of Caffeine.
Govi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-23-2015, 08:27 PM   #68 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Lengthy and thoughtful account and critique of Beale and his chums: Philip Sandifer: Writer: Guided by the Beauty of Their Weapons: An Analysis of Theodore Beale and his Supporters.

ETA Somehow I get the idea that Beale probably understands that Normal Spinrad's The Iron Dream is satire but wishes it weren't.
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Users Said Thanks :
Old 06-10-2015, 06:36 PM   #69 (permalink)

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Why sci-fi authors are angry with Tor Books

Quote:
In the world of sci-fi/fantasy publishing, all anyone can talk about today is this Tor.com blog post from Tor Books founder Tom Doherty.

The post publicly distances Tor from a Facebook comment made by Irene Gallo, the publisher's creative director. Written on May 11, Gallo's comment briefly outlined her opinion of the "Sad/Rabid Puppies" campaign that derailed this year's Hugo Awards by bloc-voting for a slate of anti-progressive authors.

The Sad Puppies are often compared to Gamergate, though they are not affiliated. In her post, Gallo described the group as "right-wing to neo-nazi" and "unrepentantly racist, misogynist, and homophobic." Doherty's post distances Tor from that viewpoint, adding that the Sad Puppies supports a diverse range of authors—including several published by Tor Books.
After Doherty denounced Gallo's comment, many sci-fi fans and authors began accusing him of hypocrisy. If Gallo's post was deemed objectionable enough to warrant a public disavowal, what about the controversial opinions published by other Tor authors and employees?

Isabeau Imako is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 06-10-2015, 07:02 PM   #70 (permalink)
feral ballerina

Hello, I'm the groove operator. Please hold the line.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March 2004
Business: D3volution

Govi is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 08-23-2015, 03:25 AM   #71 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Well guys...holy snap. It actually happened. The 2015 Hugo Awards were announced tonight, and it happened.

In all the categories which contained nothing but Puppy nominees:

Best Novella - NO AWARD
Best Short Story - NO AWARD
Best Related Work - NO AWARD
Best Editor Short Form - NO AWARD
Best Editor Long Form - NO AWARD

In all the remaining categories, every single winner was a non-Puppy-nominee!

Best Novel - The Three Body Problem, by Cixin Liu (translated by Ken Liu). This novel was originally crowded out of the category by Puppy slate nominees, until one of them (Marko Kloos) withdrew his book from nomination in protest, opening the spot.

Best Novelette - The Day the World Turned Upside Down, by Thomas Olde Heuvelt, (translated by Lia Belt). Also the only non-Puppy nominee, and also originally crowded off the ballot until one of the Puppy nominees was disqualified.

Best Graphic Story - Ms. Marvel Volume 1: No Normal, written by G. Willow Wilson, illustrated by Adrian Alphona and Jake Wyatt, (Marvel Comics)

Best Dramatic Presentation, Long - Guardians of the Galaxy, written by James Gunn and Nicole Perlman, directed by James Gunn

Best Dramatic Presentation, Short - Orphan Black episode “By Means Which Have Never Yet Been Tried”, ” written by Graham Manson, directed by John Fawcett

Best Professional Artist - Julie Dillon (only non-Puppy nominee)

Best "Semiprozine" - Lightspeed Magazine, this win a decidedly anti-Puppy statement

Best Fanzine - Journey Planet

Best Fan Writer - Laura J. Mixon

Best Fan Artist - Elizabeth Leggett

FWIW, before tonight, 5 was the total number of No Award results in the whole history of the Hugos. The last one was given in 1977.

Last edited by Dakota Tebaldi; 08-23-2015 at 03:37 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:49 AM   #72 (permalink)
Tea Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Cherry red lips and sick on her boots

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 26th April 2007

Best Anglo-Saxon High Horse Reference 
Details of all the voting , including full lists of Nominees which didn't make the cut is here http://www.thehugoawards.org/content...Statistics.pdf

Vanguard of the LolCatz Revolution
This Post was financed by The National LolCatz Archives

Clancy Sullivan :Yeah. YEAH! The sultry seamstress of mirth is definitely in charge now.
Certified 7.8 on the Official Non-Arbitrary Trout Algorithmic Slut scale

A public copy of my Second Life Main Grid Survey Database can be found at http://www.gridsurvey.com - Now with added Second Life Incidents !!

Tyche Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:54 AM   #73 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

I feel sorry for Jim Butcher.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-23-2015, 05:14 PM   #74 (permalink)
Old Cynic

*SLU Supporter*

Client: Firestorm

Special Achievemnt In Group Action 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
I feel sorry for Jim Butcher.
Did I miss something?

Erich Templar
Textures, prefabs, more textures....
http://www.templarcreations.com
Templar Creations Main Store (SLURL)
SL Marketplace Merchant Page
Erich Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:53 PM   #75 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
And on Facebook the Puppies are claiming a win, and taking credit for The Three Body Problem winning because they "crowded out the SJW nominees."

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMTWNBBFN
We face an unprecedented moment in this country. Today's greatest threat is not climate change, not pollution, not flood or fire. It's that we've got people in charge of important shit who don't believe in science.

Harrison Ford
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said WTF?: