Firestorm Viewer 4.4.0.33720 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Alternative SL Clients » Firestorm Viewer 4.4.0.33720

Alternative SL Clients Discuss third party SL clients here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

penguins rule!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/30/2011
Business: Heavenly Estates
Client: Firestorm
Firestorm Viewer 4.4.0.33720

I downloaded and loaded this beast last night. My first impression of it holy shit, this server side baking this is damn fast. I spend sometime hopping between sims just enjoying how fast things where loading and rezzing. I was very impressed. Imagine how impressed I was when I found out that server side baking hasn't been turned on yet.

I've not explored all the new options yet, but the new wind light cycles look fantastic and I can't wait to play with the realistic cloud additions.

Good job Firestorm team, damn good job.
1 User Laughed:
2 Users Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 04-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Purple

HEYOO!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 20. January 2007
Client: NaCl
I..am not sure server side baking (Which only applies to avatars, mind you) is even available yet. At least, you will not notice it with other Avatars yet unless they also use an SSB viewer.

So, rest assured, when things were rezzing quicky in general, it wasn't SSB related.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

penguins rule!

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalice Yao View Post
I..am not sure server side baking (Which only applies to avatars, mind you) is even available yet. At least, you will not notice it with other Avatars yet unless they also use an SSB viewer.

So, rest assured, when things were rezzing quicky in general, it wasn't SSB related.
Its not, I mentioned that in the OP. I spent half the night hopping around some busy sims, such as giggles and franks. The rez time was amazingly fast, so fast I though SSB had been turned on. Later that night I was looking at the new features page and found out it hasn't went live yet. Still very impressive performance though. I'm really looking forward to SSB now.
Maggie is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Still finding Second Life is there.

My Mood:
I agree, Maggie, it seems much faster. And the Fantasy Fair was doable, compared to my first experience (though maybe last night was just a good night for FF).

It was nice of them to fix a lot of things on my wish list, starting with a redo of the login buttons. And I'm glad the "quick prefs" is now customizable. And I can't wait to play with the new camera stuff. On the whole, it seems they did a really good job.
Keriwena is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Humming La La La

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Quote:
Firestorm Viewer 4.4.0.33720 with Server Side Baking Support

Not only is this a major update with loads of new features, as well as performance and stability improvements, but it is also a necessary upgrade for you if you want to be able to render avatars correctly when Linden Lab throws the switch for Server Side Baking (appearance). Because all Firestorm users will need to upgrade to this release, we have put it through unprecedented development and testing with no fewer than three levels of Quality Assurance: internal testing, Beta testing and our new Preview Group testing. We truly hope and expect this to be the best release we have ever issued. Grab the downloads from our Downloads page and enjoy!
Old 04-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
I like Mainland

Mostly Harmless

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March 4, 2007
I went over to the beta grid to the SSB enabled sims with the alt that often comes in as a cloud. After switching about 8 outfits, it works great, very fast and everything rezzes.
Baroness Menchor, the Deadly, of the Great Army of the Invincible Infidel, Whose Great Swarms of Evil and Horror Laid Waste to the Souls of a Million True Believers and Left Their Souls Rotting in the Summer Sun for the Buzzards to to Ravish as Their Souls Sunk to the Depths of Torment and Hopelessness, Abandoned by Their Gods.

Youth and strength can almost always be overcome by old age and treachery
Menchor Barbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 04-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Humming La La La

My Mood:

After installing it and logging in, I crashed immediately

Relogged and it seems to be working just fine, now. Not sure what that was all about, but for the record? I HATE CLEARING CACHE AND WAITING FOR IT TO RELOAD!
Cindy Claveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

SL Join Date: 2010
It may be a bit specific, but does anyone know why the music on the Fantasy Faire isn't working since the update? I had no problem with other streams, but this one keeps being off. And I also can't copy the stream from the "about land" tap (tried that in hope I could use it outside off the viewer, if its not working normaly)
Syo Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

I like the Linden change that makes the "hover" height (Z-setting for the avatar) a shape-settable parameter. Yay I can change between petites, behemoth zombie, and my regular self and never touch the viewer settings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie View Post
the new wind light cycles look fantastic
Wait, what? I didn't see anything about new wind light cycles in the top-level blog post, is there anything written about them?

When I first rezzed in, I was amazed at how great everything looked in my skybox. Then I realized it was just because the new viewer reset my graphic prefs really high - I'm usually just on basic shaders up there *hangs head*.
Nika Talaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

penguins rule!

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nika Talaj View Post
Wait, what? I didn't see anything about new wind light cycles in the top-level blog post, is there anything written about them?

Bottom of the quick menu, "Day Cycle" is what I'm talking about. I only had the time to play with it for a few minutes last night. I assume it sets a custom day/night cycle like the Wind lights menu above it does. I really have no clue what it does from my guessing. I'm at work so I don't have time to research it, but some how I have time to post about it on SLU.

Links to the wiki on what this setting does would be nice.
Maggie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elf-friend

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 09 January 2009
I've downloaded this viewer... it crashed when clearing the cache.. Manually cleared the cache. Uninstalled, reinstalled. Still crashing every I try to start up. It gets as far as the initiallising texture cache, then instantly crashes..

Any help/advise would be very much appreciated?
Shiva Draconia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Humming La La La

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiva Draconia View Post
I've downloaded this viewer... it crashed when clearing the cache.. Manually cleared the cache. Uninstalled, reinstalled. Still crashing every I try to start up. It gets as far as the initiallising texture cache, then instantly crashes..

Any help/advise would be very much appreciated?
That may have been what happened to me. I just logged back in, let it finish, and it worked after that.
Cindy Claveau is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

This space for rent

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/30/2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nika Talaj View Post
I like the Linden change that makes the "hover" height (Z-setting for the avatar) a shape-settable parameter. Yay I can change between petites, behemoth zombie, and my regular self and never touch the viewer settings.
I really wish they'd done both. I switch poses fairly regularly and often have to tweak my hover height so I'm not floating. Now, I'll have to change shapes every time? Plus I'll have to have multiples of all shape variations (like shapes tweaked to fit mesh clothing)? Ouch.

Having both available would have been absolutely a wonderful thing, imho.
LoriClaremont is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 04-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
GAF

*SLU Supporter*

Goth when goth was. Also, socially unacceptable.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 13, 2008
Business: Beautiful Freak/Club Gothika/House of Rain/Pale Empress/Cursed Events
Client: Firestorm.
Send a message via AIM to bronxelf Send a message via MSN to bronxelf Send a message via Yahoo to bronxelf Send a message via Skype™ to bronxelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syo Emerald View Post
It may be a bit specific, but does anyone know why the music on the Fantasy Faire isn't working since the update? I had no problem with other streams, but this one keeps being off. And I also can't copy the stream from the "about land" tap (tried that in hope I could use it outside off the viewer, if its not working normaly)

I have it in winamp.

http://fantasyfaire.serverroom.us:5896

There you go.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Praying for intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Does anyone know what the avatar Z axis offset debug setting is called? I'd very much like to put it back into my quick preferences.
KT Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Elf-friend

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 09 January 2009
Seems that was the problem for me.. Turns out, leaving it sitting for five minutes was nowhere near enough :/

Course, after that, it took five attempts to log in, because my connection decided to keep dying, right on login... but that's another story.

Thanks Cindy
Shiva Draconia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #17 (permalink)

Praying for intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Kingsley View Post
Does anyone know what the avatar Z axis offset debug setting is called? I'd very much like to put it back into my quick preferences.
Nalates answers that question in her blog here. Summary: it'll get broken when server-side appearance gets turned on. It may get fixed eventually, but don't hold your breath.
KT Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
slurker

AFK for Revolution

My Mood:
Client: Cool VL Viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Kingsley View Post
Nalates answers that question in her blog here. Summary: it'll get broken when server-side appearance gets turned on. It may get fixed eventually, but don't hold your breath.
There's a JIRA for that SUN-38
Leah Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #19 (permalink)

Fast!

It's working great here - major performance improvement. I uninstalled the old version first.
EricCastanea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #20 (permalink)

Cat Herder

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/11/08
I DL'd the new version & when I logged in my framerate was so low it was like a slide show just at my home which is usually a very low lag area. There was a BB class that I wanted to go to so I went & within 5 minutes I crashed. I came back in & crashed again within one minute (this was on low-medium graphics). I logged in again at home this time, turned my graphics to the lowest setting & crashed again within a couple minutes. I could barely turn around without freezing up. I guess I can't use the newest FS.
Maggy Hazelnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
Dani's girl

*SLU Supporter*

More coffee..

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2007
I did a clean install and reloaded inventory and it's working fine for me. Things definitely do seem snappier than before on my Mac.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #22 (permalink)

My Mood:
I'm now on latest Firestorm. My report: I do not notice any difference. Other than "Advanced Lighting Model" thingie being there now.
Lexxi Gynoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #23 (permalink)

..just back.. after a long time away..

Same here on my iMac Jeni.. seems to run really well .. oh after I bothered to read the instructions about deleting all the old one first! .. ehhm my bad
Old 04-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #24 (permalink)

I did not do a complete clean install, but I *did* uninstall the previous firestorm and deleted the cache directory before installing. Everything worked fine.

You could try that, if you're crashing. It's better than saying "I can't use the new firestorm", because once LL turns on server-side baking, you'll have to use a viewer that supports it. Or the world will look really really weird, missing textures everywhere, sculpties will revert to balls, etc..
Nika Talaj is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #25 (permalink)
Abby Normal

Always on the Outside... looking In

SL Join Date: April 2004
Business: Firestorm Support
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie View Post

Bottom of the quick menu, "Day Cycle" is what I'm talking about. I only had the time to play with it for a few minutes last night. I assume it sets a custom day/night cycle like the Wind lights menu above it does. I really have no clue what it does from my guessing. I'm at work so I don't have time to research it, but some how I have time to post about it on SLU.

Links to the wiki on what this setting does would be nice.

firestorm_release_4.4.0.33720_change_log [Phoenix Firestorm Project - Wiki]
fs_quick_preferences [Phoenix Firestorm Project - Wiki]
day_presets [Phoenix Firestorm Project - Wiki]
"All rocks go to Heaven." ~ Our Lady of Martyrs Catholic Church
“Half of what I say is meaningless; but I say it so that the other half may reach you.” ~ Kahlil Gibral
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks: