Metrics for Adoption of Mesh Viewers - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Alternative SL Clients » Metrics for Adoption of Mesh Viewers

Alternative SL Clients Discuss third party SL clients here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bit Fishy

Swimming around

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 2007
Client: Firestorm
Metrics for Adoption of Mesh Viewers

Can anyone point me in the direction of the most recently stated stats for mesh capable viewer usage?

I need to know them, and my google-fu is failing me
Ana Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Purple

HEYOO!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 20. January 2007
Client: NaCl
It was something in the middle 90 percent range, if I recall correctly. And that number was several months old. Basically the only people unable to see mesh are users of Imprudence, vanilla 1.23 and people who are stuck on versions old enough not to show mesh, all of which just don't matter much in the overall statistics. Let's not sugarcoat it.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
FS Dev

Limited Edition Serious Pirate CEO Cat Supreme with Rainbow Skurvy Sprinkles and Bacon

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec '08
I've posted it here a few times in the past, but my old numbers from like last Septmber or before were showing like >95%. I'll have recent numbers on these soonish when I get more work done on my new stats reporting system.

ETA: If I had a copy of Excel 2010 on this comp, I could script out that report real fast, except I don't, so it'll be likely Tuesday when I can.
Kadah Coba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have been wearing an attachment message that is invisible to mesh viewers, but non-mesh viewers can see it clearly and will almost certainly IM me about it.

I have had no takers for a few months now.

I'm not saying what it says or my plan falls apart.
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bit Fishy

Swimming around

My Mood:
Adeon wouldn't talk to me, so I rolled my own, and made this in a bit of a hurry https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p...tector/4540279

I was sorely tempted to make it say "Click me for Lindens!!!!!!".
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-19-2013, 12:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Swing Kid

*SLU Supporter*

Life is a cabaret old chum, come to the cabaret....

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November 8,2006
Client: Singularity
wow maybe I am finally part of the 1 percent
Madison Talon is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Laughed:
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 02-19-2013, 06:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Stubbs View Post
Adeon wouldn't talk to me, so I rolled my own, and made this in a bit of a hurry https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p...tector/4540279

I was sorely tempted to make it say "Click me for Lindens!!!!!!".
Sorry about that. Very scatterbrained lately. Looks like you figured it out though! Mine is a six-sided cube on both viewers, but on mesh all sides use the same texture, on non-mesh you see one side has a message, and the script only responds to touching that side (impossible on mesh viewers)
Old 02-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Bit Fishy

Swimming around

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeon Writer View Post
Sorry about that. Very scatterbrained lately. Looks like you figured it out though! Mine is a six-sided cube on both viewers, but on mesh all sides use the same texture, on non-mesh you see one side has a message, and the script only responds to touching that side (impossible on mesh viewers)
Mine's a cuboid on nonmesh, on mesh it's two parallel planes with inverted normals. I squished it down to 0.010 width to make a billboard and made every face except the two billboard faces transparent. I arranged the faces so that the area between the planes = the size of the box that appears to nonmesh viewers, for ease manipulating in build mode.

Again, it's physically impossible to touch the visible faces in a mesh viewer, though I forgot to include a filter for touches on only those faces in the script. I'll slip that into version 2.

I'll be placing these boards all around a sim I frequent, as we have more than a usual share of people who either never update their viewer, or are running SL on an electronic typewriter and don't think they can (thank God for Henri and CoolVL). We even have at least one person whose computer cannot cope with SSE2. As we're a church, we need to be extra extra EXTRA careful about this sort of stuff.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
FS Dev

Limited Edition Serious Pirate CEO Cat Supreme with Rainbow Skurvy Sprinkles and Bacon

My Mood:

97.1% as of 2013-02-10. I don't yet have data for last week but given trend of the last 5 weeks, I would say about 97.2%.

Disclaimer: The numbers might be slightly higher than this, my viewer channel versions matrix table is still in rough draft and I might have some viewer channels incorrectly marked as not supporting mesh. The mesh release was technically 3.0, but the code was there since 2.8.x, and different viewers may have enabled it earlier.

Last edited by Kadah Coba; 02-19-2013 at 02:25 PM.
2 Users Said Yay!:
Old 02-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Bit Fishy

Swimming around

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadah Coba View Post

97.1% as of 2013-02-10. I don't yet have data for last week but given trend of the last 5 weeks, I would say about 97.2%.

Disclaimer: The numbers might be slightly higher than this, my viewer channel versions matrix table is still in rough draft and I might have some viewer channels incorrectly marked as not supporting mesh. The mesh release was technically 3.0, but the code was there since 2.8.x, and different viewers may have enabled it earlier.
Exactly what I needed, thank you very much!
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 02-20-2013, 05:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
That is mesh capable though. I thought you could turn it off via graphics options?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out.
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
That is mesh capable though. I thought you could turn it off via graphics options?
I'm not aware of this. Phoenix Mesh required a certain graphic setting (basic shaders I believe) but that's because it was a hack (leading to the "my computer isn't good enough for mesh" drama) but all other viewers can show mesh even on minimum graphic settings, not the type of thing that should be optional.
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 02-20-2013, 06:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
I'm not aware of this. Phoenix Mesh required a certain graphic setting (basic shaders I believe) but that's because it was a hack (leading to the "my computer isn't good enough for mesh" drama) but all other viewers can show mesh even on minimum graphic settings, not the type of thing that should be optional.
Thanks, I knew you could turn it off somehow in phoenix but had not explored if I could do that in other clients.
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
FS Dev

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
I thought you could turn it off via graphics options?
Nope.

Quote:
I'm not aware of this. Phoenix Mesh required a certain graphic setting (basic shaders I believe)
That's just a bug affecting rigged mesh. Might have been an old limitation of the mesh code, no idea.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Bit Fishy

Swimming around

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadah Coba View Post
Nope.

That's just a bug affecting rigged mesh. Might have been an old limitation of the mesh code, no idea.
The legacy branch of CoolVL has the same limitation. And my alpha layer didn't cover everything
Old 02-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

Experimental branch of Cool VL works fine, though.
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #17 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

SL Join Date: February 13, 2006
Business: Samantha's Shirts
Client: Cool VL Viewer 1.26.12

Awards: 1
Best Drama Summary 
I use the legacy branch of CoolVL... in testing just now, rigged mesh does work with basic shaders turned off.
Philip 3:16
For Rosedale so loved the grid, that he rezzed his only begotten Avatar, that whosoever believeth in him shall not crash, but have eternal Second Life.
Samantha Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha Poindexter View Post
I use the legacy branch of CoolVL... in testing just now, rigged mesh does work with basic shaders turned off.
It might be hardware skinning. Memory is foggy.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:07 AM   #19 (permalink)

http://danielvoyager.wordpress .com/

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 31st October 2006
Send a message via MSN to Daniel Voyager Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Voyager
Interesting mesh stats and the graph above.
Daniel Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 03-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #20 (permalink)

I have no status

Business: No Escape
Client: Nirans or development daily build
Interesting... I'm presuming that the viewer channel matrix data for that graph excluded non-graphical viewers.

That percentage does show that taking precautions for non-mesh users is still a requirement though, at the reported percentage by the time 25 random avs have you within their draw distance, there's already a 52% chance that at least one of them can't see mesh.
Da5id Weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da5id Weatherwax View Post
That percentage does show that taking precautions for non-mesh users is still a requirement though, at the reported percentage by the time 25 random avs have you within their draw distance, there's already a 52% chance that at least one of them can't see mesh.
That's not how caring works.

Also playing SL isn't a random sample. The majority of people who can't see mesh will be recluded up in their own skybox and haven't bothered with strangers in years, and they don't care that they see you incorrectly - why should you?

There are people who can't see mesh, but we are a year past their grace period for accommodation.

Last edited by Adeon Writer; 03-03-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
Extreme Lurker XXL

*ra...*... ahem?

SL Join Date: 2007ish someday
Send a message via Yahoo to Lil Hapmouche
Technically, there is no way to make a graph to show how many users actually have deferred rendering activated - perhaps even without the shadow casting part, just seeing projected lightning?

Typical dialogue for my surroundings:
Me, "The lights you put up are too bright. They light up every space across half the parcel."
Them, "No they aren't."
Me, "Yes, they do... here's a screenshot, see for yourself."
Them, "That's not what I see. I have a typewriter resurrected from the ashes, I barely get 5 frame in a quiet place. Here is my screenshot to prove that my world looks like a flashback to 2006."
Me, "*le sigh*"

Lil Hapmouche is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Laughed:
Old 03-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #23 (permalink)

I have no status

Business: No Escape
Client: Nirans or development daily build
Quote:
That's not how caring works.

Also playing SL isn't a random sample. The majority of people who can't see mesh will be recluded up in their own skybox and haven't bothered with strangers in years, and they don't care that they see you incorrectly - why should you?

There are people who can't see mesh, but we are a year past their grace period for accommodation.
maybe so, Adeon, but it doesn't alter the math. if 97.1% of sessions can see mesh, on average you only need 24 of those to walk past a mesh build before you hit one that sees it as an ugly set of polygons.

Personally I dont build for those guys and dont care HOW obsolete viewers see my gear, but I could understand another builder, designer or artist caring about it, or the manager of a RP environment worrying about that number when thinking about their audience.
Da5id Weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-04-2013, 02:10 AM   #24 (permalink)
FS Dev

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Hapmouche View Post
Technically, there is no way to make a graph to show how many users actually have deferred rendering activated - perhaps even without the shadow casting part, just seeing projected lightning?
What does that have to do with mesh? And no, that is not possible with LL current stats gathering, but I know it would be quite low, maybe a few percent at best.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:14 AM   #25 (permalink)
Bit Fishy

Swimming around

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da5id Weatherwax View Post
Personally I dont build for those guys and dont care HOW obsolete viewers see my gear, but I could understand another builder, designer or artist caring about it, or the manager of a RP environment worrying about that number when thinking about their audience.
Yes, this was what I was alluding to before. We're not a fashion outlet, and need to be open to all in SL. No discrimination between rich and poor, geek and technically-ignorant or hardware-haves and have-nots.

I already identified an extra two people using 1.23 who didn't know they couldn't see mesh just by plonking down my detector for an hour or so last week. It may boggle some peoples minds, but there are definitely people out there who don't get around enough in SL to notice, or are possibly just too polite to ask why people are wearing boxes on their heads these days.

I suspect you get a sort of critical mass effect, too. Get enough of these 3% folks in one place and they have even less reason to notice, as (obviously) none of them will be wearing mesh!