Fullbright & Local Lights. - Page 3 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Alternative SL Clients » Fullbright & Local Lights.

Alternative SL Clients Discuss third party SL clients here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #51 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

A Small Field Squirrel

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March '07
Business: The Kino Haus
Client: the one you hate

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by miranda View Post
Of course , there are absolutely no differences.... Particulary when you have not argued
Now , stop to troll
I don't even know what you're trying to say here, but I suspect you need to learn what trolling actually means.
Myf is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-19-2012, 06:54 AM   #52 (permalink)
Solace Beach Owner

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Business: Solace Beach Estates
Client: Firestorm
I have trouble seeing in the dark, in SL and RL. I walk around set to noon most of the time, so full bright doesn't affect me much either way. But full bright hair and face lights are ugly.

I was taught that signs should be full bright, and I find them hard to read when they're not. My land for sale signs are full bright on the actual sign portion where the text is, but the wooden frames are not. I don't really like the idea of people being able to change that experience, however as long as full bright is on by default, the only people turning it off will be users who know what they're doing and for whom readability presumably isn't an issue. So... eh, whatever.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:58 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myf View Post
I don't even know what you're trying to say here, but I suspect you need to learn what trolling actually means.
Who cares ? Because , my opinions are
Quote:
stupid
and i am only a worm who
Quote:
has zero merit
miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:59 AM   #54 (permalink)
Elysium Hynes is Typing..

My animal spirit is the lolcat

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/7/2007
Client: V3
Send a message via Skype™ to Elysium Hynes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayesha Lytton View Post
I have trouble seeing in the dark, in SL and RL. I walk around set to noon most of the time, so full bright doesn't affect me much either way. But full bright hair and face lights are ugly.

I was taught that signs should be full bright, and I find them hard to read when they're not. My land for sale signs are full bright on the actual sign portion where the text is, but the wooden frames are not. I don't really like the idea of people being able to change that experience, however as long as full bright is on by default, the only people turning it off will be users who know what they're doing and for whom readability presumably isn't an issue. So... eh, whatever.
There are pretty good windlights to walk around sl and seeing things clearly without using noon and making your experience way more attractive this link Windlight Settings | [SL] Blogger Support will give you a bunch to download if you wanna try them, i really like Gogo´s for walking about sl.

Elysium Hynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:05 AM   #55 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Who cares ? Because , my opinions are
and i am only a worm who .
Welcome to the internet. where people can disagree with you and even call your ideas stupid when they think they are so. Please look up the defenition of troll so you can understand what it means and stock up on lolcats.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium Hynes View Post
Welcome to the internet. where people can disagree with you and even call your ideas stupid when they think they are so. Please look up the defenition of troll so you can understand what it means and stock up on lolcats.
Really ??
You mean every people ?? Even me ?
Damn ... I didn t knew .. You know , i am stupid ..
But do you authorize me to name her stupid too ?
Have i your authorization ?
Or are you going to defend her , even if she is in fault ?

FYI
Etiquette online
miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:33 AM   #57 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
whine, whine, whine...
you´re funny, here´s a fullbright lolcat for you.

1 User Said Yay!:
2 Users Laughed:
Old 12-19-2012, 07:47 AM   #58 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
That link leads, unless I'm misunderstanding something, to an article pubished in 2004 that costs US $2.99 for 24 hours' access (US $15 if you want to download a copy).

I doubt many people here will read it.
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #59 (permalink)

needs to edit profile/pics

SL Join Date: Sept 2006 (but not active till 2008)
Business: someday, someday ...

Awards: 1
Thread Title of the Week 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayesha Lytton View Post
... I was taught that signs should be full bright, and I find them hard to read when they're not. My land for sale signs are full bright on the actual sign portion where the text is, but the wooden frames are not...
It makes sense that you would want the for sale sign to be bright and easy to see. Applying full bright to the sign while not applying it to the frame is a reasonable compromise, however RL signs are not "full bright" unless they are backlit or neon and for sale signs are seldom either backlit nor neon. Full bright signs detract from the experience for some of us. When electricity is available for sale, RL signs are sometimes lit with spotlights. I don't know whether this would increase yours sales or not but I for one would be favorably impressed with sales/rental outfit that used realistic spotlights (projectors) to light their signs. Of course this will only work if people have light and shadows turned on so it's understandable that people with tier to pay will use full bright to attract customers, but SL would look a lot nicer and be more immersive if a more natural light such as projectors could be used. Your approach of full bright on the sign, but not on the frame, combined with the ability for the user to toggle it off in the viewer seems like a reasonable compromise for now.
Robert Jung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #60 (permalink)
foreigner

*SLU Supporter*

Miranda, you did something very dishonest in this post: Fullbright & Local Lights.

You pretended that Myf had said YOU have zero merit. You didn't only quote a few of her words out of context, you even changed one of the words in your false quote, from "have" to "has", so you could pretend Myf said you have zero merit.
She actually said:
Quote:
... Seriously, your objections have zero merit. ...
Aimee is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Myf
Old 12-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #61 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

A Small Field Squirrel

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March '07
Business: The Kino Haus
Client: the one you hate

Quote:
Really ??
You mean every people ?? Even me ?
Damn ... I didn t knew .. You know , i am stupid ..
But do you authorize me to name her stupid too ?
Have i your authorization ?
Or are you going to defend her , even if she is in fault ?
You can call me whatever you like, you don't need Elysium's (or anyone's) permission.

Anyway, I didn't call you anything. I specifically called out your opinion, in this particular thread. For all I know you could be a frigging genius. Even if you are though, the particular thought you expressed here was poorly conceived. But still, it was the opinion, not you, I was calling stupid. You were the one who decided to get personal with your (mis)use of the term "troll," not me.
Myf is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 12-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #62 (permalink)
foreigner

*SLU Supporter*

I personally object to For Sale signs on vacant lots being fullbright. People who are looking for land will set Midday and can easily find the signs and read them, if the texture itself is well made.

People who are paying to live on the sim, on neighboring parcels, have to see your illuminated sign all night every night. They already know it's for sale and don't need a constant reminder.

The reason you and so many other estate owners do it is simply that you are inconsiderate. The only thing that matters to you is maximum exposure. You want to be sure you will catch prospective tenants who stumble around with a Midnight setting when they look for land. Do such people even exist?
2 Users Agreed:
Old 12-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #63 (permalink)
Goldmember

Groupie of the Perma Band

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxie Marten View Post
I am lazy and grumpy. I just derender the person
Old 12-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #64 (permalink)
Oddly Controversial

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/30/2005
Business: Retired
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee View Post
I personally object to For Sale signs on vacant lots being fullbright. People who are looking for land will set Midday and can easily find the signs and read them, if the texture itself is well made.
Is there actually any purpose to "for sale" signs at all when it comes to land? The people doing the shopping don't need to see them, it's much more effective to set SL itself to display land for sale. Hell, even that much is overkill if you're not particular about where in the grid you are. Open up the Search window and go to "Land Sales" and it takes you right to the parcel itself.
Penny Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Agreed:
Old 12-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #65 (permalink)
foreigner

*SLU Supporter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Patton View Post
Is there actually any purpose to "for sale" signs at all when it comes to land? The people doing the shopping don't need to see them, it's much more effective to set SL itself to display land for sale. Hell, even that much is overkill if you're not particular about where in the grid you are. Open up the Search window and go to "Land Sales" and it takes you right to the parcel itself.
I guess we behave a bit differently when looking for a new home. Maybe because I prefer islands to mainland?

I follow ads as a starting point, but then I often fly over the whole island sim, or cam over it all, looking for For Sale signs. I also look for yellow patches on the world map, but that is sometimes out of date.

I certainly don't need the signs to be illuminated though. I mostly have Midday set.

Then if a parcel interests me, I also try Midnight, while standing in a parcel I'm considering, to check for light pollution. So the sim owner having huge illuminated signs, or providing free fullbright trees all over the place like some do, is counterproductive.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #66 (permalink)
Naked Kitty

Blurring Motions

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 6th Jan. 2007
Client: Black Dragon
Send a message via MSN to NiranV Dean Send a message via Skype™ to NiranV Dean
Mh , the Fullbright disable doesnt seem to work against crapy LL default newbie stuff... the Newbie Help Island Hazzlehoff still uses Fullbright no matter what i do , however , porting to 2000m and back down has proven to re-check the objects and show/hide fullbright depending on your new desire on every other normal SIM , Help Island Public also doesnt use fullbright anymore
NiranV Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #67 (permalink)
kortee'nea

SL Join Date: May 2007

Send a message via Skype™ to Adeon Writer
I'll show you how it's done. It requires modding shader files. No need to touch the render pipeline or how it reads prim params, just need a preference checkbox for which .glsl file to use.
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #68 (permalink)
Naked Kitty

Blurring Motions

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 6th Jan. 2007
Client: Black Dragon
Send a message via MSN to NiranV Dean Send a message via Skype™ to NiranV Dean
Yea adeon , please show me , i couldnt find out which shader file , because as soon as the viewer uses anything else than the coresponding fullbright shader , fullbright prims will either go black or invisible.

BTW

NiranV Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #69 (permalink)
In ur threadz...

...eating ur brainz

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 24, 2006
Client: Frestorm, Singularity, Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium Hynes View Post
Please look up the defenition of troll so you can understand what it means and stock up on lolcats.
Miranda indeeds needs a better understanding, so her own attempts at it aren't so failsauce.

"Privatize" Windows10: Clara's Techstuff

Support SLU with stuff for your RL: https://society6.com/sluniverse

Squirrel!

Hakuna Potato
Beezle Warburton is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #70 (permalink)
Old Cynic

*SLU Supporter*

Special Achievemnt In Group Action 
My store in Port Caledon. The interior is deliberately full-bright. I'm committing a creative faux-pas?
Attached Thumbnails
Fullbright & Local Lights.-port_caledon_store.png  

Erich Templar
Textures, prefabs, more textures....
http://www.templarcreations.com
Templar Creations Main Store (SLURL)
SL Marketplace Merchant Page

Last edited by Erich Templar; 12-19-2012 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
Erich Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #71 (permalink)
Oddly Controversial

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/30/2005
Business: Retired
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich Templar View Post
My store in Port Caledon. The interior is deliberately full-bright. I'm committing a creative faux-pas?
This is a popular technique, but the same effect is better produced simply by setting up good lighting inside the shop.

However, I wouldn't consider it a terrible affront to design unless your shop had no actual light sources inside of it, rendering any customers as black silhouettes inside what appears to be a brightly lit shop.
Penny Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #72 (permalink)
kortee'nea

For light sources, you can use inverted geometry for the bulb so that the pointlight directly illuminates itself. This way it will be very bright (as it is very close to the pointlight, originating from inside the prim), but will still be effected by Windlight settings (which fullbright ignores)

Even better, projected light has a newer parameter, ambience, which effects how much the light source illuminates surfaces facing *away* from the pointlight, so inverted geometry isn't needed. (This will still be seen even by people who don't use deferred, cool enough.)
Old 12-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #73 (permalink)
Old Cynic

*SLU Supporter*

Special Achievemnt In Group Action 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Patton View Post
This is a popular technique, but the same effect is better produced simply by setting up good lighting inside the shop.

However, I wouldn't consider it a terrible affront to design unless your shop had no actual light sources inside of it, rendering any customers as black silhouettes inside what appears to be a brightly lit shop.
The problem I always find with light sources is that because of the limited number of local lights available, they have this tendency to switch on and off as you move around. I find it very disconcerting.

I think I'll experiment a bit with the store...
Erich Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #74 (permalink)
Defying Gravity

SLU Griefer Clan Member

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2-18-04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich Templar View Post
It is when you go through the effort to buy a good video card and learn how to tweak your system to run the graphics on ultra.

Most of the time full bright graphics just washes out my screen.
Your store will look like a white splotch on the screen.
Until recently I thought I was alone in this problem I have met others who run their viewers to the max have the same issue.

Myself I see a white splotch and I move on.
I don't waste my time turning things down in my viewer to accommodate people who don't know how to set up textures.

Like I said in a previous post "I am lazy and grumpy"
Roxie Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #75 (permalink)
kortee'nea

Deferred uncaps the light sources, which is handy.

But then you run into places that look awful because they were made only seeing 6 at a time, and all of them at once floods the place with light as to make everything pure white.

Last edited by Adeon Writer; 12-19-2012 at 03:15 PM.