New TPV policy changes - Page 84 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Alternative SL Clients » New TPV policy changes

Alternative SL Clients Discuss third party SL clients here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #2076 (permalink)
In Significance

45% Mesh Resistant

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/14/2009
Client: Firestorm, occasionally Singularity
Fair enough. Sentiment's the same.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #2077 (permalink)
Makes breakfast spooky!

Spooky talk from toaster, spooky eat-me toast. Yum yum yum human hand.

SL Join Date: October 24, 2006
Client: Frestorm

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica lyon View Post
Not being willing to block hundreds of thousands of people from logging into sl.. is not because we want to coast along on a loophole.
Okay, this has been a bit muddled on my part, I'll get to the point I wasn't making at all clear -- do you have plans to release a new version of Phoenix without the online checking, or just wait until there's a new release?

The older versions will just have to wait for LL to figure out what to do with LSL.

SL easily allows you to accidentally your entire pants. -- Adeon Writer

Let me avow you one object that you meliorate pound into your skull pearl: Metric Release PILLS ARE Bastard! -- Some Spammer

Beezle is made of brawn, rubies, and Villainy. With a dash of MONSTER TRUCKS.
Beezle Warburton is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #2078 (permalink)

SL Join Date: 2006
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle Warburton View Post
Okay, this has been a bit muddled on my part, I'll get to the point I wasn't making at all clear -- do you have plans to release a new version of Phoenix without the online checking, or just wait until there's a new release?

The older versions will just have to wait for LL to figure out what to do with LSL.

Ah, yes for sure! As soon as possible in fact, but we're currently in progress of getting Firestorm FUI out. We're in QA with it and it's a train in motion.

Once that's out though, Phoe without true online status will go out shortly after, along with some updates that keep Phoenix working with the new inventory changes etc. We've got some crash fixes to go in and various other things... Hopefully some incentive for users to update.

But yes, as soon as possible.
Jessica lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 03-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #2079 (permalink)
Punching bag developer

busy coding

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorZen View Post
And this is why I can have some respect for you as a Phoenix developer. Thank you for presenting actual information not couched with, "It's what our users want and we must stay on top."

(Yes, I am going to keep tooting that horn. Until it sticks.)
All right...what the precise nickel-plated fuck (as Bronxelf would put it) do you want from me?
Tonya Souther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #2080 (permalink)
Makes breakfast spooky!

Quote:
Well, technically I'm not a developer. I'm just that crazy chick behind the wheel. lol.
You have to herd developers. Not a minor feat by any standards
Old 03-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #2081 (permalink)
LEMONY CAKE!

Tough times demand tough farts.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 20, 2194
Client: SL Viewer for Commodore 64
From what I understand from what Kadah was saying in earlier posts somewhere, people on older versions of Phoenix may start to run into problems with inventory fetching and such. Not from LL outright shutting down those services right away, but more like those services falling into disrepair as they concentrate their efforts on the new ones. I think some of the stuff added to the Phoenix code in recent days not only includes killing the true online status thing, but also some fixes for inventory and other things.

(ETA: lol Jessica beat me to it.)

(ETA2: also appreciate that Phoenix can build on VS2010 now... I wish Henri would get off 2005 so I can finally uninstall it. )

Last edited by Andromeda Rage; 03-03-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Andromeda Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 03-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #2082 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda Rage View Post
(ETA2: also appreciate that Phoenix can use VS2010 now... I wish Henri would get off 2005 so I can finally uninstall it. )

LOL, that was actually an accident! But glad you like it! haha. You've got Tankmaster Finesmith to thank for that one.
1 User Laughed:
Old 03-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #2083 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Not being willing to block hundreds of thousands of people from logging into sl.. is not because we want to coast along on a loophole. It's because blocking hundreds of thousands of people at the same time is problematic x 9001.
Thanks for the clear and thoughtful reply. But would it be hundreds of thousands? If you get out an update, particularly with the improvements you mention, and then you and LL announce that, as of some date a few weeks after the update, older versions will be blocked, won't many of those hundreds of thousands update in the meantime? This is an eventuality, after all, you must have anticipated back in December, when you wrote,
Quote:
ultimately we know LL will deprecate V1 viewers because it is not economically viable to remain profitable while V1's are still around
I mean, I don't know how many more people now use Phoenix than used Emerald back when everyone was saying it could never be blocked when so many people were using it, but is the problem of forcing a lot of people to change really of a different order of magnitude than then it was, when -- as I recall -- LL pulled the plug with no real certainty that people would switch to Phoenix or anything else?

Maybe it is -- I don't know.
Innula Zenovka is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #2084 (permalink)
FS Dev

Limited Edition Serious Pirate CEO Cat Supreme with Rainbow Skurvy Sprinkles and Bacon

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec '08
Quote:
Its been sounding like LL still wants nerf it, but now knows that it will be a clusterfuck if they did it the way they were going to. From the motions, I'm guessing their going to try to fix the miscliously issues it used to workaround (llGiveInv) and possibly rethink how the permissions are going to work.

Quote:
Quote:
Well, technically I'm not a developer. I'm just that crazy chick behind the wheel. lol.
You have to herd developers. Not a minor feat by any standards
Kadah Coba is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 03-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #2085 (permalink)
In Significance

45% Mesh Resistant

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/14/2009
Client: Firestorm, occasionally Singularity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonya Souther View Post
All right...what the precise nickel-plated fuck (as Bronxelf would put it) do you want from me?
Who said I wanted anything? It's your petard.

But if you really insist on an answer, try this for starters: next time a controversial "feature" appears that you disapprove of, grow a fucking spine and stand up against it no matter how popular it is with the user base. They'll either adapt or leave. It shouldn't matter to you either way.
Doctor Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #2086 (permalink)
Punching bag developer

busy coding

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
I don't know how many more people now use Phoenix than used Emerald back when everyone was saying it could never be blocked when so many people were using it
We don't either. We don't have comparable stats to the ones we get now from that time.

Quote:
but is the problem of forcing a lot of people to change really of a different order of magnitude than then it was, when -- as I recall -- LL pulled the plug with no real certainty that people would switch to Phoenix or anything else?

I would invite you to consider the fact that LL did not block Emerald until Phoenix had been officially released. There was an alternative for all those Emerald suers, and one they embraced very rapidly. Is there an alternative for Phoenix users that can't run 1600? Oh, yes, there's Imprudence and a few other non-mesh viewers, but would people pick them?
1 User Groaned:
Old 03-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #2087 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the clear and thoughtful reply. But would it be hundreds of thousands? If you get out an update, particularly with the improvements you mention, and then you and LL announce that, as of some date a few weeks after the update, older versions will be blocked, won't many of those hundreds of thousands update in the meantime? This is an eventuality, after all, you must have anticipated back in December, when you wrote,I mean, I don't know how many more people now use Phoenix than used Emerald back when everyone was saying it could never be blocked when so many people were using it, but is the problem of forcing a lot of people to change really of a different order of magnitude than then it was, when -- as I recall -- LL pulled the plug with no real certainty that people would switch to Phoenix or anything else?

As the user base of our viewers have grown it's become harder and harder for us to reach out to them with important information. Only a small percentage read the blog, many have login progress screens disabled so they don't see our MOTD etc. Not long ago we decided to block an old and very unstable version of Phoenix.. I can't remember which version it was now. But we have a month of warnings, MOTD reminders etc. Watched the numbers drop slightly week to week. Eventually we had 20,000 folks on it or so, and we blocked it. Chaos ensued, I'm surprised we didn't have support suicides from it. It was a lesson to us that blocking old builds has to be a last resort.

As far as numbers over emerald during it's peak.. exponential.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #2088 (permalink)
Punching bag developer

busy coding

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorZen View Post
But if you really insist on an answer, try this for starters: next time a controversial "feature" appears that you disapprove of, grow a fucking spine and stand up against it no matter how popular it is with the user base. They'll either adapt or leave. It shouldn't matter to you either way.
Consider how many people have complained here about true online status. Then consider how many people have complained on SVC-4823 about breaking the function.

The SL world does not revolve around SLU and its hardcore users.

I'm standing up for the users. Who are you standing up for?
1 User Groaned:
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 03-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #2089 (permalink)
Eternal n00b
Who? Me?

My Mood:
Client: Restrained Love Viewer (v2.8.3.5)
My SL world does happen to revolve around me.

You are free to do what you please as well. It hasn't impacted me in the slightest, so far as I can tell.

Last edited by Brianna Ort; 03-03-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Brianna Ort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #2090 (permalink)
Makes breakfast spooky!

I haven't had the world revolve around me since I gave up hard alcohol.

Beer just makes it lightly wobbly.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #2091 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
We don't either. We don't have comparable stats to the ones we get now from that time.

I would invite you to consider the fact that LL did not block Emerald until Phoenix had been officially released. There was an alternative for all those Emerald suers, and one they embraced very rapidly. Is there an alternative for Phoenix users that can't run 1600? Oh, yes, there's Imprudence and a few other non-mesh viewers, but would people pick them?
I agree that they didn't block it before Phoenix was released, but did they not deliver their ultimatum -- get rid of the objectionable features and developers -- well before that? I thought the genesis of Phoenix was precisely that Phox and Arabella thought LL were bluffing and that Jessica and the rest of you were sure they weren't.

Quote:
As the user base of our viewers have grown it's become harder and harder for us to reach out to them with important information. Only a small percentage read the blog, many have login progress screens disabled so they don't see our MOTD etc. Not long ago we decided to block an old and very unstable version of Phoenix.. I can't remember which version it was now. But we have a month of warnings, MOTD reminders etc. Watched the numbers drop slightly week to week. Eventually we had 20,000 folks on it or so, and we blocked it. Chaos ensued, I'm surprised we didn't have support suicides from it. It was a lesson to us that blocking old builds has to be a last resort.

Though presumably if LL announced that they were blocking older versions, possibly even sending out an email to everyone (as they do for far more trivial matters) more people would get to know. It's a bullet they and you are going to have to bite sooner or later, after all, as you argued back in December.
Innula Zenovka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #2092 (permalink)
01001100 01001111 0100110

01000011 01101111 01101111 01101100 0100001

My Mood:
SL Join Date: '06
Business: Darnkeyes!
Ahaha, such a simpleton. It'z so much fun playing jokez on you. I waz only here to see how she waz doing, but I had fun while I waz at it. So long, Sere, au revoir, mon ami! Pleaze dream of moi every night! Oui! ~ Harle

http://leechmouth.deviantart.com/
Darnk Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 03-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #2093 (permalink)
Singularitan

Client: Singularity
Quote:
Consider how many people have complained here about true online status. Then consider how many people have complained on SVC-4823 about breaking the function.

The SL world does not revolve around SLU and its hardcore users.
OH NO NOT AGAIN!!!

Was true online status in Phoenix forbidden because a handful of people complained, because LL has an agenda of any sorts to make Phoenix suffer, or maybe, just maybe, because it was a WRONG thing to do in the first place?
Siana Gearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #2094 (permalink)
FS Dev

Limited Edition Serious Pirate CEO Cat Supreme with Rainbow Skurvy Sprinkles and Bacon

My Mood:
Quote:
From what I understand from what Kadah was saying in earlier posts somewhere, people on older versions of Phoenix may start to run into problems with inventory fetching and such. Not from LL outright shutting down those services right away, but more like those services falling into disrepair as they concentrate their efforts on the new ones. I think some of the stuff added to the Phoenix code in recent days not only includes killing the true online status thing, but also some fixes for inventory and other things.
Yeah... the first one that's going to cause problems is that LL is changing how "Copy and Wear" works on the server (which I think either is live or will be soon on Angi). Without the changes to HTTP inv for it, there is the possibility of causing some side effect that I can't remember, it might be inventory loss, but I don't know off hand. This one only affects "Copy and Wear", but LL will just keep doing things like that when they fix things or move them to the new APIs.

LL had told us originally that they would start to discontinue legacy services at some point that passed last year, but then a year later of nothing happening, they changed it to just that the old APIs are deprecated and are not going to be maintained instead of shutoff.
Jess really needs to stop basing our press releases on what LL says they may or may not be doing at some point. Stupid us for believing they wouldn't change plans completely. lol.

Quote:
Quote:
(ETA2: also appreciate that Phoenix can build on VS2010 now... I wish Henri would get off 2005 so I can finally uninstall it. )
LOL, that was actually an accident! But glad you like it! haha. You've got Tankmaster Finesmith to thank for that one.
I think it was Nicky Perian that did the 1.5 on VS2010 work and Tank got it work on Phoenix. He accidentally pushed it to the main repo before I had time to review and merge it, so I had to get to sooner.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #2095 (permalink)
Punching bag developer

busy coding

My Mood:
Quote:
I agree that they didn't block it before Phoenix was released, but did they not deliver their ultimatum -- get rid of the objectionable features and developers -- well before that? I thought the genesis of Phoenix was precisely that Phox and Arabella thought LL were bluffing and that Jessica and the rest of you were sure they weren't.
They delivered their ultimatum well before that, true. They could have carried it out at any time. That they didn't until after Phoenix was released should tell you quite a lot. They knew for quite a while that Phox wasn't giving in, and that we were working to release Phoenix.

Quote:
Though presumably if LL announced that they were blocking older versions, possibly even sending out an email to everyone (as they do for far more trivial matters) more people would get to know. It's a bullet they and you are going to have to bite sooner or later, after all, as you argued back in December.
Is it? What makes you think they're going to do anything other than just what they've said: let older versions continue to run, but not allow new versions with that function in it?
Old 03-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #2096 (permalink)
Friend of Forman

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/14/2004
Send a message via Yahoo to Jack Belvedere
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
The best part of this thread and similar ones over the last few weeks is what I've been able to observe about the behaviour and attitudes of the TPV developers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkady Arkright View Post
Why should anyone bother to give their time and effort creating TPV's, for free, for ungrateful whiners like you ?
Pancake is one of the nicest and most rationale people I've met in SL. I continue to throw my support behind the Pancake-Beebo-Elysiums of the world! Ignore the sharks with freakin lasar beams attached to their heads! Stay away from the liiiight!
Jack Belvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
2 Users Hugged You:
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #2097 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
We can't remove it from older versions of Phoenix. The most we can do is remove it from the codebase, put out a new release, and then ask LL to block all older releases. Again, I'm not at all sure we want to kick that anthill, or that you want us to.
I think that would be the safest path.

Alternatively, you could ask them to block some unique string in the existing bridge, and provide a new one they can get either by upgrading the viewer or *if they need to* "replace this file, click here to download the new version".

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #2098 (permalink)
Punching bag developer

busy coding

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siana Gearz View Post
Was true online status in Phoenix forbidden because a handful of people complained, because LL has an agenda of any sorts to make Phoenix suffer, or maybe, just maybe, because it was a WRONG thing to do in the first place?
LL banned it because it was the wrong thing to do on balance. But there are plenty of valid reasons for llRequestAgentData(), despite what the crowd here on SLU thinks. The mob here was howling for its demise; LL, fortunately, saw the light and thought better of just killing it.

It's not as thoroughly eeeeevil as the SLU mob wants you to think. If it was, LL wouldn't have told us to remove it in the next release but don't worry about previous releases.
2 Users Groaned:
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #2099 (permalink)
FS Dev

My Mood:
Quote:
Quote:
I mean, I don't know how many more people now use Phoenix than used Emerald
I don't have Emerald numbers either, but from what various Lindens said not long after Phoenix started (and obviously after I joined) it was much higher than Emerald's and it was only just getting to the 40% range at that point. I'm guessing that Emerald at its peek may have been around a third of the whole grid.

Quote:
You got any of those numbers still somewhere?
Old 03-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #2100 (permalink)
Punching bag developer

busy coding

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
I think that would be the safest path.

Alternatively, you could ask them to block some unique string in the existing bridge, and provide a new one they can get either by upgrading the viewer or *if they need to* "replace this file, click here to download the new version".
I don't know what they can use to block a script. However, this approach would require that we produce a replacement script for every released Phoenix version - and yes, they're all most likely different - and detailed instructions on how they could put it into their bridge object.

And then they'd screw it up. Trust me on this one; even a simple "highlight this in your inventory, right-click, select Edit, then create a new script, drag the script from here to it, delete the old one, and close the edit window" is going to be beyond many, many SL users. You and I often forget that we're exceptional in being able to build and script and edit easily. Most folks on SL never touch the editor at all, and those that have often have only done it once and then given up because they screwed something up beyond repair.

I'd be willing to bet that the folks who can't run mesh-enabled viewers due to their computer not being up to the job are precisely the ones who aren't experienced at editing.

So we're back to blocking old versions and forcing people to upgrade. You thought there was drama over Emerald getting banned? It would pale beside this.
1 User Agreed: