New TPV policy changes - Page 29 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Alternative SL Clients » New TPV policy changes

Alternative SL Clients Discuss third party SL clients here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #701 (permalink)
wtf'd

grinning

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 04/06/2008
Business: All Things Aley!
Client: Singularity 1.8.3
It's clear that TPV development needs to go to opensim in order to get anything done. But the (extremely) low user numbers of opensim (the highest concurrencies atm are around 250-400 people, though I think 1-20 is closer to the average) means that there are not enough users to give the devs the ego boost needed to make the development work worthwhile.

So, essentially, Linden Lab has now killed this platform, and all it can do from here is wither and die.

That's extremely sad, but that's also life, too.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #702 (permalink)
Placeholder

Mauves ovriers ne trovera ja bon hostill

My Mood:
Client: SL Viewer 3
object script counts, some area search versions, temporary uploads are all features that went into popular TPVs and caused more server load than intended. Oz has a valid point on that one.
Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 02-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #703 (permalink)
*blink*

*SLU Supporter*

Vatican mole

My Mood:
All they need to do is provide an instrumented server instance for testing with various load levels, and the TPV community can go to town with any kind of changes they like. Why close off half or more of the client/server paradigm?

Can I get a cat or a dog instead of a pony for making it to the end of the thread?
Soen Eber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #704 (permalink)
Radegast

SL Join Date: 10/24/2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
object script counts, some area search versions, temporary uploads are all features that went into popular TPVs and caused more server load than intended. Oz has a valid point on that one.
I'm not saying that it is not a valid point. I'm saying that I find it unreasonable that the only solution is for the official viewer to adopt it first.
Latif Khalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #705 (permalink)
rawr!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalice Yao View Post
Ever thought of blaming the idiot who raged on you instead of being polite and explaining things instead of llGetObjectDetails?

blame is such an awesome thing. it's right up there with scapegoats. blame has been used along with scapegoats for the last 6 years that i'm aware of and prolly 2 years before that, to cover everything from oversized prims to weapons abuse.

the solution is not to shift blame around onto other scapegoats chalice. is it?

oh and chaice, they touched me in the purse lol.
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #706 (permalink)
FS Dev

Limited Edition Serious Pirate CEO Cat Supreme with Rainbow Skurvy Sprinkles and Bacon

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec '08
Quote:
Temp uploads will be disabled/broken at some point when LL start fixing bake fail, but there hasn't been an specific request to remove it as of yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soen Eber View Post
All they need to do is provide an instrumented server instance for testing with various load levels, and the TPV community can go to town with any kind of changes they like. Why close off half or more of the client/server paradigm?
Some things don't show up till there's a few hundred thousand using it concurrently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soen Eber View Post
Can I get a cat or a dog instead of a pony for making it to the end of the thread?
Kadah Coba is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Laughed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 02-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #707 (permalink)
Mootles

cout<<"monies";

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2004/2005
Client: c0ff33
Send a message via MSN to Nebula Send a message via Skype™ to Nebula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latif Khalifa View Post
I'm glad your ignorance gives you amusement. Now go back to read what I wrote about modern viewers such as Singularity. You cannot really called them V1 based anymore. It's really V1 UI viewer with V3 renderer and other guts. Nothing to get obsoleted.

You are being incoherent. What does crash bugs have to do anything? I said CPU usage of scripts does not affect sim lag anymore. I also proposed a test that will allow you to verify this claim. Make CPU only script, and clone 100 of them, crunch prime numbers, than walk around the sim and see if it lags you.

I clearly outlined the cases when and what matters. Are you disputing that 1 temp rezzer will not be far forse for sim performance than 232 hair resizer idle scripts?
You mentioned crash bugs and you are ignorant. It is the v3 rendering pipe line not a rederer you idiot. Have you compiled a viewer. Have you done any source work what so ever. Your complaints about the scripting engine being detached from the sim are even more funny. One line of lsl used to bring the sim down by crashing the script VM. Or do you not remember the null give and count loop bug. Also this has been tested you idiot, otherwise ll wouldn't have broken this. Griffer viewers in 2008 used to do it. Particularly HXO and neil life. You have no idea what you are talking about. And I do not think singularity can upload mesh. Plus singularity's windlight cannot even hold a candle to V3. It is not a modern viewer they are back ports for a reason.

Nothing to get obsoleted. Your grammar is worse than a bad trolls on failure chan.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #708 (permalink)
And you know that

Play the game

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2005
Client: Firestorm
Send a message via MSN to bladyblue Send a message via Yahoo to bladyblue Send a message via Skype™ to bladyblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Held
It's clear that TPV development needs to go to opensim in order to get anything done. But the (extremely) low user numbers of opensim (the highest concurrencies atm are around 250-400 people, though I think 1-20 is closer to the average) means that there are not enough users to give the devs the ego boost needed to make the development work worthwhile.
I believe the TPV users comprise a large enough audience willing to log into a OpenSim to test new features they want.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain...Time to die.-Roy Batty
bladyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #709 (permalink)
Punching bag developer

busy coding

My Mood:
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
You want to know the biggest server load caused by a viewer? It was when Phoenix added display name support. They weren't prepared for the feature to actually get used to that degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebula View Post
You mentioned crash bugs and you are ignorant. It is the v3 rendering pipe line not a rederer you idiot. Have you compiled a viewer. Have you done any source work what so ever.
You do know who Latif is, don't you? The guy behind Radegast?

Quote:
Nothing to get obsoleted. Your grammar is worse than a bad trolls on failure chan.
English is not his first language. Cut him some slack. Even raving assholes like him get a pass on grammar flubs as minor as his when they're not speaking their first language.
Tonya Souther is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 02-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #710 (permalink)
Radegast

Quote:
You mentioned crash bugs and you are ignorant. It is the v3 rendering pipe line not a rederer you idiot. Have you compiled a viewer. Have you done any source work what so ever. Your complaints about the scripting engine being detached from the sim are even more funny. One line of lsl used to bring the sim down by crashing the script VM. Or do you not remember the null give and count loop bug. Also this has been tested you idiot, otherwise ll wouldn't have broken this. Griffer viewers in 2008 used to do it. Particularly HXO and neil life. You have no idea what you are talking about. And I do not think singularity can upload mesh. Plus singularity's windlight cannot even hold a candle to V3. It is not a modern viewer they are back ports for a reason
So I propose a clear test for testing performance claims, you don't bother with it. I make no mention of crash bugs, you insist I did. You ask me if I have ever done source work I'd suggest increasing your dosage, but I'm not a medical professional, consult your doctor.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 02-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #711 (permalink)
Spooky Talking Toaster

Spooky eating toast . . . yum yum yum human hand.

SL Join Date: October 24, 2006
Client: Frestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonya Souther View Post
Which makes his public rage-on for Kadah even less classy.

SL easily allows you to accidentally your entire pants. -- Adeon Writer

Let me avow you one object that you meliorate pound into your skull pearl: Metric Release PILLS ARE Bastard! -- Some Spammer
Beezle Warburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #712 (permalink)
Mootles

cout<<"monies";

My Mood:
Quote:
You want to know the biggest server load caused by a viewer? It was when Phoenix added display name support. They weren't prepared for the feature to actually get used to that degree.

English is not his first language. Cut him some slack. Even raving assholes like him get a pass on grammar flubs as minor as his when they're not speaking their first language.
Yeah and isn't that a text viewer.
Quote:
So I propose a clear test for testing performance claims
since you are not to bright, if I post anything related to an active bug, I doubt chris or josh would like that. However because open sim is a different can of worms and sl has long since fixed this let me show you something that you may be able to comprehend.
{
state_entry()
{
jump l; string a; @l; (integer)a;
}
}
that used to crash sims and shut down the script vm, go test in older versions of open sim. Oh and seeing as how I was the person do discover the null count variable crasher as well which would crash any sim after ten seconds I think I know what I am talking about. I have recently gotten some good fixes dealing with script stupidity fixed and for that matter know a hell of a lot of what I am talking about. For that matter taking up memory active or inactive in scripts can easily cripple a sim. I could make a dummy alt and meet you on sl and show you that I can not only cripple the sim, but force all scripts to stop running by simply making new scripts that call a single function. However posting code that is a active bug and possible threat on a public form is something I will not do.

For that matter if he has done rade gast and he still thinks back porting makes a viewer not obsolete when it is on a horribly outdated code base. I shutter to think for his users.
Nebula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #713 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
talk about irony, here we are in a thread in which the devs of a certain unmentioned TPV just got slapped for privacy invasion, one of the results of which was a royal screwing of product delivery due to scripts now being unable to detect online status before sending objects and thus getting around im capping delivery problems.....

a slapping which had to come because even after the debacle with the previous incarnation of the unmentioned TPV, these people had to stick it to the man.....

a thread full of people who compete to sell scripted objects to a market which cries out for more....

and some people think it's fine to shame that market for using those products instead of fixing the problem.

even the logic of shaming the end user is flawed. the end user isn't pumping out 1000's of scripted objects onto the grid, the creator is. but hey lets blame the girl with the scripted skirt and hair cause she's in front of us and ll has given us the powah to fix out little local problem. oh isnt x creator doing well this month?

get your heads out of your behinds, you are so full of what you've been lookin at you think it doesnt stink.

this is what is more likely to happen, those of us who buy those things will stop wasting money on them because we have no-where to wear them, while complete idiots think they are shaming us into "more responsible sharing of limited resources".

the first time a script nazi spoke to me was when i was in her shop, on her sim, about to buy one of her products!

yeah. that sale did not happen. that was pre lsl ablility using estate tools. just lately things are getting worse due to a new "tool" which sends a popup just to let me know that i'm using more than an ao's worth of scripts.

thanks sooooo much for that. i'll be so sure to visit all of the shops on your sim and buy all the lovely no mod scripted hair that i wont be able to wear here soon, and the nice scripted shoes which of course will languish in my inventory next to the hair.

because i just love to buy shit and leave it in my inventory.

you wanna fuck with me? lets dance.
wat
Joshua Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #714 (permalink)
Radegast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle Warburton View Post
Which makes his public rage-on for Kadah even less classy.
Very seldom do I get accused of being classy I just cannot tolerate spreading of FUD, fear-mongering, especially when it comes with supposed implied insider information. I've yet to hear Kadah explain how can he claim with such certainty that there will be this big license incompatible update that will make all V1 UI viewers impossible, or the other few doomsday's scenarios he outlined in the post I was responding to.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #715 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
you wanna fuck with me? lets dance.
OK, I'm not going to bother to catch up with this thread. But let me just say, this line made me really, REALLY, miss the east coast.

<and now, back to your regularly scheduled rancor>
Nika Talaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #716 (permalink)
FS Dev

Limited Edition Serious Pirate CEO Cat Supreme with Rainbow Skurvy Sprinkles and Bacon

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec '08
Quote:
Yeah, that was pretty bad. We deployed DN support just as LL went on holiday in December, little did either party know, the DN service couldn't handle any load greater than the comparative handful using it on Viewer 2. This lead to an unofficial policy of telling them we've adopted a new featre of theirs before we deploy, because it'll pretty much will double the numbers using it within a couple weeks.

Though it would have been nice if they had said something about the DN servers not being scaled for the possibility that more than a third of the grid using it. x3
Kadah Coba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #717 (permalink)
Singularitan

Client: Singularity
Quote:
I didn't notice him participate. I don't think he spoke at all.
I think Simon was high on popcorn.
Siana Gearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #718 (permalink)
Mootles

cout<<"monies";

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siana Gearz View Post
I think Simon was high on popcorn.
Even though you won't move to v3, someone has to make 1.* workable for the ones who refuse to upgrade. At least Siana is a smart lady HIGH5
Nebula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #719 (permalink)
Singularitan

Quote:
You mentioned crash bugs and you are ignorant. It is the v3 rendering pipe line not a rederer you idiot. Have you compiled a viewer. Have you done any source work what so ever. Your complaints about the scripting engine being detached from the sim are even more funny.
Let me make a short and incomplete list for you:
  • Maintainer of libopenmetaverse, only developer on it for the last couple of years
  • With it, maintainer of WinGridProxy and GridProxyApp
  • Developer/Maintainer of Radegast Viewer
  • Contributor of inventory links and other features to OpenSim core.
  • The go-to person for SL protocol analysis
  • Contributor to Singularity. He's constantly in touch with us, he knows EXACTLY what we're doing. He actually diffed it against Viewer 3 recently, as opposed to you.
  • Provider of some project infrastructure for Singularity quality assurance, including a build system.
Congratulations on reaching your new peak of embarrassment.
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #720 (permalink)
Banned
Getting richer by the hour!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: in the days of old when knights were bold and before prims were invented
Business: Fazuku Brand
Client: Avination Veiwer, Singularity Alpha
i believe Radegast is BSD licensed. I will leave it up to Nebula to comprehend what that means in regards to the term "v1.x veiwer codebase"
Yoshiko Fazuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #721 (permalink)
Singularitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshiko Fazuku View Post
i believe Radegast is BSD licensed. I will leave it up to Nebula to comprehend what that means in regards to the term "v1.x veiwer codebase"
What is your point? Radegast has no relationship to Viewer 1 or any other Linden codebase. It's a completely independent implementation, using libopenmetaverse as its core. It's written in an entirely different language and its code structure bears no similarity to Linden codebase.

P.S. your avatar is very annoyingaddictive. I can't hold myself back from pointing my phone at it every time i see it. Damn QR codes are an obsession to me.

Last edited by Siana Gearz; 02-27-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #722 (permalink)
wtf'd

grinning

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 04/06/2008
Business: All Things Aley!
Client: Singularity 1.8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladyblue View Post
I believe the TPV users comprise a large enough audience willing to log into a OpenSim to test new features they want.
TPV users will mostly stay in SL, because that is where their friends are.

I'm sure the drama will pique some interest in other grids, but probably no more than usual.

So the problem remains --not enough kudos/feedback for it to be worth the TPV developer's time in migrating away from SL.
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #723 (permalink)
Banned
Getting richer by the hour!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: in the days of old when knights were bold and before prims were invented
Business: Fazuku Brand
Client: Avination Veiwer, Singularity Alpha
Quote:
What is your point? Radegast has no relationship to Viewer 1 or any other Linden codebase. It's a completely independent implementation, using libopenmetaverse as its core. It's written in an entirely different language and its code structure bears no similarity to Linden codebase.
lol! I was trying to point out in a smug way that he does know what he is talking about because he wrote a viewer that shares no code with LL's gpl code. Im sure he knows what he is doing

Quote:
P.S. your avatar is very annoying. I can't hold myself back from pointing my phone at it every time i see it. Damn QR codes are an obsession to me.
i think QR codes are neet!
Yoshiko Fazuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:54 PM   #724 (permalink)

Quote:
From the blog comments:

So, tweak the user interface as much as you want. Don't touch other stuff until I approve it first. And you're too dumb to know if something will cause server issues. Yeah, that's Oz for you.
I disagree with your copying of Inara's blog comments over to here. The discussion was over there. Oz doesn't come here.
Ann Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
Old 02-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #725 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2004
Quote:
Let me make a short and incomplete list for you:
  • Maintainer of libopenmetaverse, only developer on it for the last couple of years
  • With it, maintainer of WinGridProxy and GridProxyApp
  • Developer/Maintainer of Radegast Viewer
  • Contributor of inventory links and other features to OpenSim core.
  • The go-to person for SL protocol analysis
  • Contributor to Singularity. He's constantly in touch with us, he knows EXACTLY what we're doing. He actually diffed it against Viewer 3 recently, as opposed to you.
  • Provider of some project infrastructure for Singularity quality assurance, including a build system.
Congratulations on reaching your new peak of embarrassment.
You make him sound much more grandiose than he actually is. There's been a handful of largely maintenance libopenmetaverse releases since he took "control" of it in 2010, primarily because those people who originally were involved (John Hurliman, who went on to work at IBM and now has his own startup, I believe; otakup0pe/Jonathan Freedman who works with John and the former Heretic Linden at the aformentioned startup, if memory serves; Jessie Malthus who sadly passed away in 2007; Adam Zaius who now works at Sinewave developing virtual worlds for commercial clients etc etc) have gone on to greater and more important pastures and he's managed to appropriate maintenance development of the library in absence of its original coders. Most of the people involved in creating it and OpenSim are working elsewhere (read: making money on their own or with high profile companies) and their interest is on other ventures. In any event, he didn't create libopenmetaverse; he's only assumed ownership of it when its original creators moved on because they felt it was largely stable.

Developing his viewer and contributing to yours aren't something I would put on an epeen bullet-point list either, especially given the reputation you have, but that's me. But wotevs, you two seem to get along pretty well. Must be because you're both raging gasbags.
Joshua Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote