Cool VL Viewer updates - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Alternative SL Clients » Cool VL Viewer updates

Alternative SL Clients Discuss third party SL clients here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #26 (permalink)
LEMONY CAKE!

Tough times demand tough farts.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 20, 2194
Client: SL Viewer for Commodore 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhandra View Post
Do you know something? You know, if you bring cookies, candy, or gossip, you're supposed to bring enough to share with the class!
Well, I think they're indeed hammering away at merging in all the VS2010/autobuild stuff, but maybe they've decided to skip an incremental step the team initially was planning and are merging in The Meshy at the same time. Which would be cool.
Andromeda Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #27 (permalink)
As A Service

SL Join Date: Jan 9, 2007
Cool 1.26.0.13 is out now

Quote:
Here is a new release of the Cool VL Viewer, available now from http://sldev.free.fr/:

Cool VL Viewer v1.26.0.13 (stable branch)

Another polishing release (no new "big" feature), but a worthy one !

New in this release:

Fixed an issue (present in all other viewers, including in v2 !) that made the viewer spend excessive and useless time refreshing parcel textures (counted in the "Region Update" slot in the frame console) in more and more inactive regions over time and teleports (one of the reason why the FPS slowed down over time during long sessions); the speed gain brought by this fix is quite significant (up to 6ms per frame after a few teleports !). Also optimized up the parcel overlay refreshing code.
Major UI code cleanup to get rid of most (all ?) "Making dummy widget" warnings. Removal of corresponding dead code; proper rewrite of the corresponding various code paths for different floater layouts; added the missing "Take Off" button in the Physics tab of the Appearance floater; re-added a close ("OK") button in the friends floater (was removed from the XML floater definition in old days, around v1.17, IIRC, but the code was still around...).
Removed the deprecated (deprecated in SL and, AFAIK, never implemented/used in OpenSim) "Group Voting" tab in the group info floater (if you know of any OpenSim grid implementing group voting, please let me know, and I'll reenable it for OpenSim grids).
Implemented support for the new event URIs (now properly triggering the event details floater) and for the new region info URIs in the new web search results.
Sped up the world map floater code.
Fixed the graphics hardware settings not being applied before a restart (was broken in a former v1.26.0 release).
Backport of a few minor renderer fixes spotted in v2 code while working on Mesh backport.
Backport of a v2 viewer fix for doubly attached objects in inventory.
Backport of a v2 viewer fix for land selection glitches.
Increased to 999 the limits for texture repeats in the build tools floater.
Improved the llui warning messages to better spot UI code/XML definitions flaws.
Changed the beta search URL of the new SL search for the release one.
Updated the OpenGL feature table.
Brenda Connolly is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #28 (permalink)
Over and out

SL Join Date: 11/2006
Business: Pear Shaped
So does Cool Viewer allow for wearing multiple layers (jackets, tattoos, etc)? That's literally the only thing holding me to Firestorm. Cuz I'm shallow.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #29 (permalink)
As A Service

Not at the moment. I think Henri is going to add it when Mesh is fully enabled.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-13-2011, 09:26 AM   #30 (permalink)
As A Service

Cool VL 1.26.0.14 has hit the newsstands

Quote:
Here is a new release of the Cool VL Viewer, available now from http://sldev.free.fr/:

Cool VL Viewer v1.26.0.14 (stable branch)

This is mainly a bugfix release. Update is recommended.

New in this release:

Fixed a crash bug (introduced in v1.26.0.11) that could occur when starting media playing while the media texture was loading.
Backported from viewer 2 a fix to another old bug in the selection manager that randomly caused the pie menu to fail to trigger the selected action on avatars (Profile, for example). Fix spotted by Chris, see this thread for details.

Backport from viewer 2 of a fix to a potential crash bug in agent language region updates.

Added a setting (available in the "IM & Logs" Preferences sub-tab) to also send the Busy message auto-reply when set Away.
Added the UUID of primitives behind their name in the reports of the "Selected Texture Info" feature (CTRL ALT SHIFT T), so to allow easily finding out your rezzed objects UUIDs.

Added the Mono check box to the script preview floater (for scripts edited from the inventory) and removed the corresponding preference from the "Cool features"/"Miscellaneous" sub-tab. Note that unlike the check box of the in-world scripts editor floater which is updated depending on the actual byte code type of the edited script, this check box is actually just a preference (allowing to save the edited script as a Mono or LSL2 script), that does not reflect the current type of byte code used for the script in the inventory (there is alas no way to get this info from the asset server).

Improved the "LSL Wiki Help..." option of the script editor, making it point by default (i.e. when clicked while no keyword is selected in the script editor window) on the LSL_Portal page instead of the root SL Wiki page.
Some backports from v2.7 viewer to the OpenGL rendering engine.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-20-2011, 08:27 AM   #31 (permalink)
As A Service

Now arriving on Track 2, Cool VL 1.26.0.15

Quote:

Cool VL Viewer v1.26.0.15 (stable branch)

This is quite an overhaul of some features that were more or less broken in all v1 viewers (and sometimes still broken in v2). Update is recommended.

New in this release:

Major overhaul of the media system, with backports from viewer 2 (made by Techwolf Lupindo for Phoenix, with improvements, bugfixes and refinements by me), which should cure most of the outstanding media playing issues that plagued Snowglobe when compared to v1.23.5, and brings the viewer on par with v2 viewers (with the exception of the "media on a prim" feature, still to be implemented). This also brings support for web cookies, and thus OpendID (that cookie used to identify you on SL websites). Updated accordingly the Web tab in the Preferences floater (with a new "Clear Stored Cookies" button).
Implemented support for web profiles (Can be viewed in the Web tab of the avatar profile or opened from there in a built-in or external browser), with support for the corresponding new secondlife://app/* URIs (IM/Call, Teleport, Map, Share, Pay, and a partial implementation for Picks editing). Also improved the Web tab of the avatar profile (with new "In built-in browser" option in the homepage "Load" button fly-out menu, and a "Loading..." indicator while web pages are loading) and the built-in browser (floatermedia, with a better layout, "Loading..." indicator, trusted web browsing mode, etc).
Overhaul of the media filter feature, now with session-wide cached DNS lookups to avoid systematic short freezes each time an URL is filtered. Also made the IP lookup optional (disabling it prevents any short "freeze" but lowers the security), with a corresponding setting in the "Audio & Video" tab of the Preferences floater.
Complete overhaul of the mute list, now with proper filtering (by object Id or name, by owner avatar and group Id or name, and by object name) for all callbacks (inventory offers, script menus and permission requests, URL loading requests, IMs, chat, etc...). Also fixed a bug (still present in viewer 2) which caused a muted object to get their owner muted as well when the said object was offering you an item. In short, muting now actually works in all cases !
Added the "Dark" skin by JB Kraft, borrowed and adapted from Phoenix viewer (see the Skins tab of the Preference panel).
Improved the SL grids detection algorithm (now 100% IP based).
RestrainedLove updated to v2.07.03.03 (with one minor bugfix).
A few minor bug-fixes and code cleanups.
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 08-25-2011, 10:02 AM   #32 (permalink)
LEMONY CAKE!

My Mood:
According to a couple posts Henri made to the opensource dev mailing list, he's got the mesh code backported and the viewer compiles, and now he just needs to make a few tweaks to bring it up to the changes introduced in the more recent LL releases.

Good times.

ETA: He did it, and it's coming soon! http://sldev.free.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=540

Last edited by Andromeda Rage; 08-25-2011 at 10:10 AM.
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 08-25-2011, 10:24 AM   #33 (permalink)
Miss StarLight

The little dabbler

Location: UK, Australia, Japan, and sometimes elsewhere in Europe and Asia ....best to be a moving target
SL Join Date: 06/12/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda Rage View Post
According to a couple posts Henri made to the opensource dev mailing list, he's got the mesh code backported and the viewer compiles, and now he just needs to make a few tweaks to bring it up to the changes introduced in the more recent LL releases.

Good times.

ETA: He did it, and it's coming soon! http://sldev.free.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=540
This is a major development - and Henri deserves a lot of kudos for it. I wonder if other Viewer 1 based TPV devs will also look at this now?
Hitomi Tiponi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #34 (permalink)
LEMONY CAKE!

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitomi Tiponi View Post
This is a major development - and Henri deserves a lot of kudos for it. I wonder if other Viewer 1 based TPV devs will also look at this now?
They would probably have a lot of work to do. Similar to what Siana has said about mesh support in Singularity, Henri says he can't provide just a simple patch that other V1 TPVs can use; there has been a lot of months-long work involved in backporting a lot of other stuff from V2 just to make mesh work. If I'm a Phoenix user, for example, I wouldn't be holding my breath.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #35 (permalink)

Rawr

My Mood:
Client: SL Viewer 5
Yes, it would probably be less work to rebase from Cool VL and add any desired tweaks. Most of the popular features are already in there.
Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #36 (permalink)
Dat Burd

*SLU Supporter*

Free Range Bird

SL Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda Rage View Post
It's really kind of ironic... at this rate, Cool VL will have mesh support before Firestorm does.
And it's pretty much come to pass, eh?
Inhandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #37 (permalink)
Curiouser and Curiouser

*SLU Supporter*

Following the White Rabbit

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 7/3/2006 (rejoin 7/16/2009)
Business: TD Creations
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhandra View Post
And it's pretty much come to pass, eh?
Which is pretty bad when you consider the size of the Firestorm team. Makes you wonder what they are doing while a single developer is able to backport and get Mesh working in a v1 viewer.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #38 (permalink)
Dat Burd

*SLU Supporter*

Free Range Bird

SL Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trasee Darkwatch View Post
Which is pretty bad when you consider the size of the Firestorm team. Makes you wonder what they are doing while a single developer is able to backport and get Mesh working in a v1 viewer.
BASKING IN THE GLOW OF E-POPULARITY.
Inhandra is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-25-2011, 01:53 PM   #39 (permalink)
Over and out

SL Join Date: 11/2006
Business: Pear Shaped
The second Henri gets mesh and multiple clothing layers working in Cool Viewer, I will drop Firestorm so fast it'll make their heads spin.
Natalie P. is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 08-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #40 (permalink)
As A Service

And they said it couldn't be done.
2 Users Laughed:
Old 08-25-2011, 10:33 PM   #41 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Henri visited my little mesh shop today, testing his viewer, and said he could see all my mesh items just fine, so it apparently is working OK. I assume he was bouncing around all the mesh places he could find to make sure its working, and not crashing.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Yay!:
Old 08-27-2011, 02:43 AM   #42 (permalink)
posts... sometimes.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/15/05
Grats on joining the mesh club, Henri! Crazy amount of work to do that quickly, for sure.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:51 AM   #43 (permalink)
posts... sometimes.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/15/05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trasee Darkwatch View Post
A lot of the firestorm 'team' is comprised of people more comfortable with smaller projects. That, and viewers with smaller teams often give the developers much much more freedom to tackle more expansive changes. Of course, having fewer people also makes things much more difficult to test, so it's kind of a catch-22.
Shyotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #44 (permalink)
As A Service

Today's offering from Monsieur Henri:

Quote:
Here are two new release of the Cool VL Viewer, available now from http://sldev.free.fr/:

Cool VL Viewer v1.26.0.16 (stable branch):

New in this release:

Greatly improved the sims' terrain surfaces update algorithm, avoiding the cases when some neighbouring sims could fail to get updated for a while, or when the sim where your avatar is standing could update too slowly.
Added the new LSL functions and constants (llSetMemoryLimit(), llGetMemoryLimit(), llSetLinkMedia(), llGetLinkMedia(), llClearLinkMedia(), llSetLinkCamera(), llSetContentType(), llLinkSitTarget(), lAvatarOnLinkSitTarget(), llSetVelocity(), OBJECT_SCRIPT_TIME, PRIM_POS_LOCAL, PRIM_LINK_TARGET, CONTENT_TYPE_TEXT, CONTENT_TYPE_HTML).
Added the highlighting of the multi-lines, C-style comments (/* ... */) in the script editor.
Ported v2 viewer's APR pools code (was required for the Mesh backport).
Fixed a bug that caused the active speakers list to appear empty when the viewer was set to display only the legacy names. See this thread for details.
Made it so that the selection beam does not render at all when PrivateLookAt is active and you are pointing at an object over 20m away (used to render a beam pointing nowhere in front of your Av, which could be confusing for you and the other residents around).
Added a "Boxed messages" setting for the chat console (draws the background box around each individual message instead of around all the messages as a big block). This was some dormant (commented out code), so why not enabling it as an option ?...
Added more LLCachedControl speed optimizations in the render and UI redrawing paths.
Added auto-limiting of the prim size in the edit floater (10m max for tree and grass objects, 64m for other objects in SL (the new limit since Mesh is in production on the main grid), 256m in OpenSim).
Backport from v2 of the way to deal with impostors (the "Max Non Impostors" setting is now actually properly honoured).
Added the preloading on viewer startup of the floater friends icons.
Updated RestrainedLove to 2.07.03.04 (one minor change, allowing scripted child primitives of an attachment to lock the latter on your avatar: it was formerly only possible to lock from scripts in the root prim).
Various minor fixes in the code, spotted during the backport of Mesh for v1.26.1.

NEW ! Cool VL Viewer v1.26.1.0 (experimental, Mesh rendering branch)

This is the same viewer as v1.26.0.16, but with a full backport of the official v2.6-mesh viewer renderer. Since it uses the v2 renderer, it can also do dynamic shadows (v1.26.0 can do it too, but in a much less efficient and reliable way). To enable dynamic lighting and shadows, use the corresponding check-box in the graphics tab of the Preferences floater (option only available in "Cutsom" graphic settings mode). Oh... It also got preliminary support for the new parameters of physical objects (but for now lacks the possibility to set them from the build floater).
It must be considered as an alpha viewer, with potential issues (crashes, rendering glitches, etc) even though, so far, it proved quite stable to me.
Only Mesh rendering was so far extensively tested. The viewer also contains code to handle meshes in your inventory (by lack of a personal mesh to upload, I didn't yet test this, like I could not test wearing meshes on my avatar I could test it with a mesh shirt: it works, but see the issues below). There is for now no support code for uploading/building meshes (because of the use of a closed source library by LL, no third party viewer can upload meshes anyway: perhaps later, when an open source decomposition library will be ready).

Here are the known issues with this viewer:

The fast timers are broken and incomplete (they miss a whole bunch of new timers dealing with the new renderer, and they are unreliable because of a bug I didn't yet fix).
Sometimes, a few Mesh objects may appear "stuck" in a low LOD (Level Of Details) state: right clicking on the said objects instantly cures the problem, rezzing them fully. Not yet sure where it comes from, but it seems to happen most on the beta grid (where some meshes are reported in the viewer log as transmitting invalid parameters)
Sometimes, mesh clothes may rez also at low LOD level, and since you can't right-click them, they stay stuck (unless you can rez the said mesh cloth on the floor).
Basic shaders must be kept enabled, else bad things happen to the avatars (completely distorted shape every few moves).
The code (Qarl ex-Linden's) allowing to select easily tree and grass primitives in v1.26.0 had to be disabled in v1.26.1 since it's incompatible with the new renderer.
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #45 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 6/30/2008
Thanks, Brenda. Mesh is rendering fine for me on his experimental build. I do notice the mesh disappears when I turn off Basic Shaders. That's okay though because it beats V3's freezy Inventory clicks!
Jager Xeltentat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:05 AM   #46 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

SL Join Date: February 13, 2006
Business: Samantha's Shirts
Client: Cool VL Viewer 1.26.12

Best Drama Summary 
And, on its heels...

Quote:
Cool VL Viewer v1.26.1.1 (experimental, MESH branch)

This release should prove quite functional since it cures, via actual fixes or simple workarounds, the issues identified in v1.26.1.0.

New in this release:
  • The fast timers are working again properly, and have been extended to add the new renderer related timers.
  • The "Sonic the Edgedog on steroids" issue with avatar meshes has been fixed.
  • The issue with meshes objects (either rezzed in-world or worn as attachments) sometimes not loading fully has been worked around via a new "Load Meshes At Max LOD" setting (on by default, togglable in the Advanced -> Rendering menu). This is of course not ideal, since it means loading all meshes at the highest level of detail, thus using more memory and rendering more vertexes when less could be used, but since Meshes are very few on the grid for now, it will do till I find a proper fix.
  • More fixes and improvements to the renderer, backported from the official viewer v3.0.

Enjoy !
Philip 3:16
For Rosedale so loved the grid, that he rezzed his only begotten Avatar, that whosoever believeth in him shall not crash, but have eternal Second Life.
Samantha Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:20 AM   #47 (permalink)
As A Service

I will have to wait awhile. I planned on waiting until it became "stable" anyway, but I can't turn on shaders on this machine, the option is grayed out. I will go boldly into the world of triangles for the time being.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:08 AM   #48 (permalink)
I like Mainland

Mostly Harmless

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March 4, 2007
I tried it and it works!
I still like Firestorm better but this is good.
Baroness Menchor, the Deadly, of the Great Army of the Invincible Infidel, Whose Great Swarms of Evil and Horror Laid Waste to the Souls of a Million True Believers and Left Their Souls Rotting in the Summer Sun for the Buzzards to to Ravish as Their Souls Sunk to the Depths of Torment and Hopelessness, Abandoned by Their Gods.

Youth and strength can almost always be overcome by old age and treachery
Menchor Barbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:58 AM   #49 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Ruth too, oh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Ok, mesh works for me on Linux. BUT I had problems in SL and OSGrid with avatars looking REALLY crazy until I toggled anastropic filtering and/or set my graphics from 'low' to 'medium'.

There's other problems. On osgrid the way everything redraws is kinda messed up. It forgets what it's drawn so if you turn around and then back you'll see nothing where, say, a couch w/ cushions were -it has to draw the couch, and the cushions, every time you move.

BUT still....mesh on a v1 viewer? I'm impressed!

-The Alan Parsons Project "Games People Play"
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:19 AM   #50 (permalink)

My Mood:
Business: red line design
Client: Cool VL Viewer 1.26.10.x
Cool VL 1.26.1.2 is available:

Cool VL Viewer

The one-man developer-team works really well...

Thank you Henri!
MystyMiracle DeCuir is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks: