Imprudence compatability - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Alternative SL Clients » Imprudence compatability

Alternative SL Clients Discuss third party SL clients here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 07:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
A neko for all seasons

LOTRO gamer

My Mood:
SL Join Date: September 2010
Client: Catznip, Radegast
Question Imprudence compatability

Just to be on the safe side I thought I'd ask before installing Imprudence, can it safely be installed alongside the SL Viewer 2? I am looking into alternative clients but am concerned about whether installing them would prevent Viewer 2 from working properly.
Rock Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Mood:
Yes, of course. Neither one uses protected memory addresses (aka virtual machine)-- they just use the ones assigned by Win.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Under Construction

Figuring things out.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 02/09/2010
Client: v2 + Starlight
I'm on both V2 and Imprudence. It's fine, no problem at all. The only thing you might want to watch out for is when you follow a SLurl online. When you go to launch a viewer, it will ask you which one to launch or you can set it to always launch one or the other.
Jupiter Firelyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Declares Shenanigans

Questing to level up in SL

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2006
Business: Not Too Shanty
Adding to what others have said, you will want to make sure that you keep your caches for each viewer seperate. I've had at times 5+ different viewers installed and they all run just fine on their own
Sidney Kwon is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-15-2010, 08:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Wants *things*

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Yeah, separate caches is very important. It's a good idea anyway, and vital if you're using V2 alongside anything else. Otherwise be prepared for all sorts of issues with your inventory not loading properly.
Innula Zenovka is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-15-2010, 08:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax Manatiso View Post
Yes, of course. Neither one uses protected memory addresses (aka virtual machine)-- they just use the ones assigned by Win.
Ah... what do you mean by this? Each program in Windows has its own unique protected memory space. Virtual machines are a whole different level of isolation, but Windows applications can't directly write over each other's address space.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-16-2010, 12:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
A neko for all seasons

LOTRO gamer

My Mood:
SL Join Date: September 2010
Client: Catznip, Radegast
Haven't been using Second Life for long so I need to ask how do you clear out SL Viewer 2's cache and I suppose it'd be a good idea to ask the same Imprudence? To be honest I never even realized any of SL viewers used caches.
Rock Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
all about the sex

My Mood:
SL Join Date: January 22, 2008
Business: Sweeter Than Candy
Client: Firestorm/Black Dragon
Inventory clear isn't so much the issue as inventory separation. Keep the caches each in their own folder, according to viewer.

On the preferences for each viewer you should see a network tab (not sure on v2). Look for disk cache location and there will be a path it points to that you can change, edit, etc. For instance mine is in Users/Name/AppData/Roaming...I keep all cache folders here. Simply locate this directory on your computer itself, and create a new folder there titled whatever you wish, I choose Ascent Cache, v2 Cache, etc. Then go to the preferences of each viewer you made a folder for (v2 should already have its own so no need to make it for the only viewer that was on your system), go to network tab, choose set under the cache location listed and navigate to the folder you just made for that particular viewer. Select it and choose 'apply' and 'ok'. You're set. Try to do this before you even start up a new viewer.

What this does is cut down on perceived inventory loss (it's there just not showing in one viewer) and inventory corruption.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

The Doomsday Clock now stands at 21 seconds to Midnight

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chick View Post
Haven't been using Second Life for long so I need to ask how do you clear out SL Viewer 2's cache and I suppose it'd be a good idea to ask the same Imprudence? To be honest I never even realized any of SL viewers used caches.
Viewers keep up to 1 GB of data as cache - textures, animations, object geometry, etc. The size of the cache can be set in your preferences. That way some data does not have to be downloaded again if you start in the same location, or visit a place you were at recently. Part of the data is a local copy of your inventory list. The official copy is in a linden database. Sometimes your local copy gets corrupted. Bad data transfer among the various parts of SL is often the cause of many problems. The fix in that case is to clear your cache, and let it reload the inventory list in full.

The limit of 1GB may have made sense back in 2002, but these days hard drives are way larger. A higher limit would mean you can visit more places without having to download stuff again. Once the cache is full, it starts discarding old stuff. Another improvement would be the ability to flag locations as "home" or "favorites" and never discard that data. Those fixes would both improve your experience, since stuff would load faster, and reduce load on the SL servers, since they dont have to send as much.
DanielRavenNest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Account Closed
*tap tap* Is this thing on?

Client: Imprudence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candace Morgwain View Post
On the preferences for each viewer you should see a network tab (not sure on v2). Look for disk cache location and there will be a path it points to that you can change, edit, etc. For instance mine is in Users/Name/AppData/Roaming...I keep all cache folders here. Simply locate this directory on your computer itself, and create a new folder there titled whatever you wish, I choose Ascent Cache, v2 Cache, etc. Then go to the preferences of each viewer you made a folder for (v2 should already have its own so no need to make it for the only viewer that was on your system), go to network tab, choose set under the cache location listed and navigate to the folder you just made for that particular viewer. Select it and choose 'apply' and 'ok'. You're set. Try to do this before you even start up a new viewer.
Of course, you'll probably find that Imprudence has already done this for you - I'm pretty sure that it uses its own suitably-named cache folder by default. Other viewers probably ought to as well, but some of them don't so it's worth checking.
Mako Mabellon is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dani's girl

*SLU Supporter*

More coffee..

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2007
Client: Firestorm
I've found with Imprudence in particular, though I'm sure it's the same with any viewer, whenever installing a new version, it's so important to clear your cache. I've started doing it manually now, just dragging the folder to the trash. Imprudence has weekly updates which I enjoy trying and since I've been trashing my cache before trying them, they've worked much better. I hope you enjoy Imprudence, Rock Chick
Old 09-16-2010, 08:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
all about the sex

My Mood:
SL Join Date: January 22, 2008
Business: Sweeter Than Candy
Client: Firestorm/Black Dragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako Mabellon View Post
Of course, you'll probably find that Imprudence has already done this for you - I'm pretty sure that it uses its own suitably-named cache folder by default. Other viewers probably ought to as well, but some of them don't so it's worth checking.
Oh yes, I forgot they did this for you.
Candace Morgwain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
imprudence, sl viewer