RLV for viewer 2? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Alternative SL Clients » RLV for viewer 2?

Alternative SL Clients Discuss third party SL clients here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 05:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

SL Join Date: September 2007
RLV for viewer 2?

Does anyone know if there's a RLV-compatible version of viewer 2? I know Emerald supports it as it has a built-in, but Emerald crashes like every 20min for me as it's extremely unstable, so I have no choice but to use the normal client. The new viewer 2, although has a horrible interface, at least has the "worn" tab which is really useful. So I was wondering if there is a RLV-version of viewer 2 that uses the same interface and features.
Thanks.

Last edited by Suki; 04-05-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Suki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
Does anyone know if there's a RLV-compatible version of viewer 2? I know Emerald supports it as it has a built-in, but Emerald crashes like every 20min for me as it's extremely unstable, so I have no choice but to use the normal client. The new viewer 2, although has a horrible interface, at least has the "worn" tab which is really useful. So I was wondering if there is a RLV-version of viewer 2 that uses the same interface and features.
Thanks.
Nope, there isn't. Marine is working on adapting RLV for Viewer 2, but it appears to be a major undertaking. She explains,
Quote:
I can't provide any ETA yet, it could be weeks before I can publish an acceptable RLV 2.0. And even then, it would certainly still contain bugs and oversights that would have to be fixed over time.
Since you're having problems with Emerald, have you tried Boy Lane's or Henri Beauchamp's viewers, which also have built-in RLV?
Innula Zenovka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

I actually like most of the viewer 2 interface. While I have no personal use for RLV, I do occasionally use it in a product. It would be nice if one of the Third parties (Emerald perhaps) would adopt the Viewer2 interface, and when RLV is available again, give us the "RLV on/off" switch.

Also, last I read, due to unwillingness to accept the new Third Party Viewer rules, Boy Lane had officially stopped developing viewers after the last one. The last update (ever) added support for Alpha and Tattoo layers, with no word on whether it supports Shared Media.

I think the current dearth of new V2 compatable viewers is largely due to LL's new Third Party Viewer rules.. which scared off a lot of people, and put most of the rest into a "wait and see" position. Plus, I'm guessing that with the radical changes in Viewer2, a lot of the patches and hacks that people included in their Third Party viewers may not be working with the new viewer source code. ... Plus, LL changed how they deal with Open Source, and it's confused a lot of people who don't understand that now, "Snowglobe" is basically all the identical code as the SL Viewer 2 Source code, with some changes to remove words like "Second Life" (due to trademark issues probably), and possibly to remove/change a secret method of determining if an SL client is authentic.
Winter Ventura is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Rainbow Girl

One last Latex Doll.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Back in 2006
Client: Rainbow :)
Send a message via Yahoo to Boy Lane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Ventura View Post
The last update (ever) added support for Alpha and Tattoo layers, with no word on whether it supports Shared Media.
The Shared Media stuff is only possible in SL 2.0 and comes with Webkit, thats the new browser engine eg. Chrome/Safari use and the new plugin system for media on a prim. That's not possible to implement in 1.x without major changes (1.x uses the gecko (mozilla) engine) and it also introduces tons of security issues.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Lane View Post
The Shared Media stuff is only possible in SL 2.0 and comes with Webkit
I figured as much, but I didn't want to say "Rainbow doesn't support shared media" cause I didn't know for sure.
Winter Ventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

I've just heard in the OpenCollar R&D group that Kitty Barnett, who makes RLVa (as used by Emerald, Imprudence and other viewers) has just released her Catznip viewer. which is RLVa for Viewer 2.
Catznip I've downloaded it but not yet tried it; people in the group who had said it's a bit of an experimental preview. But it's the first working version of RLVa for Viewer 2.

ETA -- My alt has been playing with it a bit and she says it seems to be working fine but she still hates the V2 interface.

Last edited by Innula Zenovka; 05-03-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

On Pandora

Awards: 1
Thread Title of the Week 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
I've just heard in the OpenCollar R&D group that Kitty Barnett, who makes RLVa (as used by Emerald, Imprudence and other viewers) has just released her Catznip viewer. which is RLVa for Viewer 2.
Catznip I've downloaded it but not yet tried it; people in the group who had said it's a bit of an experimental preview. But it's the first working version of RLVa for Viewer 2.
Marine has announced that her 2.0 is ready and it is listed on the official list of approved viewers.

http://viewerdirectory.secondlife.co...listing_id/154

Tess

Tess Whitcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess Whitcroft View Post
Marine has announced that her 2.0 is ready and it is listed on the official list of approved viewers.

Third-Party Viewer Directory

Tess
Where does she announce that? The most recent post on her blog (dated April 9) says she's working on it, and her download page has only the 1.23 versions on it.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

On Pandora

Awards: 1
Thread Title of the Week 
I had a chat with Marine this morning. The RLV clients currently available for download as of 5/3/2010 are still the old client made to work with SL's 1.23.

RLV for 2.0 is basically done but in final testing. When it is ready to release into the wild there will be announcements and BLOG updates.

It should not be long but LL has been changing the 2.0 code all along and this has not made it any easier.

Tess
Tess Whitcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 06-02-2010, 08:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Sleepy

My Mood:
Thumbs up

Mmm well i think there is a Viewer out there with RLV & looks & feels like the LL V2. it's called the "Catnip"Catznip 2.0.0 Jager's God damned blahg
So i hope this helps & there's no need to love me giggles, it ok you'll get used to my sence of houmor okAnyway i have the viewr as well as a hell lot more But i think you'll be happy with this one. any problems just ask ok. Oh & RLV is set as default ok.
Smiles n winks at all the woman. lol
cole cybertar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Miss StarLight

The little dabbler

Location: UK, Australia, Japan, and sometimes elsewhere in Europe and Asia ....best to be a moving target
SL Join Date: 06/12/08
Restrained Love Viewer v2 has been out for over a week now, and I've been trying it for nearly that long. Seems to work pretty well, but haven't exhaustively tested the RLV features yet - and it doesn't seem to have harmed Viewer 2 stuff, except that I seem to keep whispering now.
Hitomi Tiponi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:18 AM   #12 (permalink)

I've been trying to get it to work for a couple days but it keeps saying something like "Application configuration is incorrect". Now, i am not super computer savvy but i can follow 5 steps! Just not sure why it's not working, since i might be one of the few that actually likes the new viewer alot lol.
AngelicDomme is offline   Reply With Quote