How is Firestorm's external text displayer set? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Alternative SL Clients » How is Firestorm's external text displayer set?

Alternative SL Clients Discuss third party SL clients here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2018, 10:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

How is Firestorm's external text displayer set?

In Firestorm's Conversations window, when I click on the "Open this conversation's past transcripts" icon the conversation opens in a new window within Firestorm. In that window, when I click on the icon with five lines in it to "Open chat transcript externally" the transcript opens in my web browser, which is Firefox in my Ubuntu OS. Is there a way to get it open externally in a word processor of my choosing instead of the web browser?
agentronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Random Chat Bot

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 19, 2007
Business: SunBunny Creative
Client: Lite-Brite
It should open in whatever program *.txt open in. Make a new txt file and right click it and choose "open with/choose another app". You can set the new default there by checking the "always use this app" checkbox.
Summer Haas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

In the Ubuntu OS the file extension does not determine the default application that opens the file. Extensions are used anyway, but they are for the benefit of the user only. The extensions are optional, and if used, they are to Ubuntu simply additional characters in the filename which have no more significance that any of other filename characters. Ubuntu uses another way to determine the default file that opens. The indications are my default editor is Mousepad. In spite of this it is the Firefox web browser that it is opened in from Firestorm. I need the chat files opened in Mousepad or Gedit.
agentronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*
*Poof!*

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Then find where the files are stored on your computer and open them directly. If you've enabled logging then the files will be stored locally on your machine and you can access them.

You can find the info in the preferences folder:
preferences_input_tab [Phoenix Firestorm Project - Wiki]

Conversation logs and transcripts location: Shows the location of your chat transcripts and logs. (Chat logging is enabled in the Privacy → Logs & Transcripts tab.)
OrinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Killer

SL Join Date: May 2007

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentronin View Post
In the Ubuntu OS the file extension does not determine the default application that opens the file. Extensions are used anyway, but they are for the benefit of the user only. The extensions are optional, and if used, they are to Ubuntu simply additional characters in the filename which have no more significance that any of other filename characters. Ubuntu uses another way to determine the default file that opens. The indications are my default editor is Mousepad. In spite of this it is the Firefox web browser that it is opened in from Firestorm. I need the chat files opened in Mousepad or Gedit.
Ubuntu (well, linux mint, i can't speak for ubuntu) uses the same default file program as windows. Here's how to change them: https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubunt...iles-open.html

as summer said you'll want to change the default application for text files
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firestorm external editor