Confused About Radegast - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Alternative SL Clients » Confused About Radegast

Alternative SL Clients Discuss third party SL clients here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/20/2017
Client: I'm going to use Radegast. Just have to sort out some technical things first.
Confused About Radegast

Hi everybody. Apologies in advance if this has already been discussed. I don't currently have time to look through everything here. But I'm rather confused about how exactly to install the latest version of Radegast. I installed X11, then the latest? version of the Mono framework as per the instructions found on Radegast Metaverse Client Lightweight client for connecting to Second Life and OpenSim based virtual worlds . I changed my security settings so that Radegast would open when I downloaded it, but I got an error message which seemed to indicate that some components were not properly installed or something. I know other Radegast users have gotten it to work, so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. If need be, I'm happy to come back and edit this post with a link to the article where I found this information. I know that the original developer of Radegast died a few years ago, and somebody else is picking up where he left off. I'm by no means trying to rush anybody, but Second Life sounds way cool and I'd kinda like to get it working on here. I'm using a mid-2013 MacBook Air with the latest build of OS Sierra, and I'm running the latest Safari and Google Chrome builds. Thanks in advance for any help.
Edit: I just read on another forum that the new developer of Radegast is fixing some issues. So I guess I just answered my own question, roflmao! But thanks for trying to assist. I'm still so looking forward to using this.

Last edited by TechnoEkaj; 06-18-2017 at 09:46 PM.
TechnoEkaj is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 06-20-2017, 06:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Abnormally Normal
I Don't Really Exist Do I ?

My Mood:
Client: I try all of them, but for everyday use it's Cool VL Viewer.
Sorry, TechnoEkaj, currently it is only available as a Windows download.
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
Old 06-21-2017, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Mood:
Client: I'm going to use Radegast. Just have to sort out some technical things first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Sorry, TechnoEkaj, currently it is only available as a Windows download.
Thanks for your reply. This is actually what I've read elsewhere too. But I've also read that some Mac users have actually gotten Radegast to work relatively well, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens. I did manage to register yesterday over at Virtual Ability, Inc. | a supportive environment , and that was an easy process once I got help from one of the SL mentors who I think works at Virtual Ability, Inc. in real life. I also went to the actual SL website and poked around a bit. It looks and sounds pretty awesome. I saw a link to my account on there, so I think that's proof that my SL registration was successful.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi Ana

SL Join Date: 2/11/2006
Client: Ragnarok
Send a message via Yahoo to Cinder Roxley Send a message via Skype™ to Cinder Roxley
Latest version 2.24 includes a tarball version which will run on Linux and MacOS. MacOS will take a great deal of tweaking to function properly because WinForms support is terrible on that platform. https://radegast.life/downloads/
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 07-16-2017, 12:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Pubbie4Lyfe!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinder Roxley View Post
Latest version 2.24 includes a tarball version which will run on Linux and MacOS. MacOS will take a great deal of tweaking to function properly because WinForms support is terrible on that platform. https://radegast.life/downloads/
Do we need to do anything for WinForms on Linux (specifically Mint 18/Ubuntu 16.04)?
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hi Ana

Send a message via Yahoo to Cinder Roxley Send a message via Skype™ to Cinder Roxley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Held View Post
Do we need to do anything for WinForms on Linux (specifically Mint 18/Ubuntu 16.04)?
I haven't really tested it on Linux besides a quick login and look around, but Mono support is much better on Linux. Just be sure you're using Mono 4.6.x or later and you should be fine. 3D may or may not work. Having mixed feedback at this point on that.
Cinder Roxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hi Ana

One other side note on running Radegast on MacOS, it runs much much better using Crossover for Mac https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-mac which is a bit of a monetary investment, but it's a surefire way to run it.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 07-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Pubbie4Lyfe!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
I haven't really tested it on Linux besides a quick login and look around, but Mono support is much better on Linux. Just be sure you're using Mono 4.6.x or later and you should be fine. 3D may or may not work. Having mixed feedback at this point on that.
Thanks! If I encounter problems using it on Linux, should I file bug reports about them?

Quote:
One other side note on running Radegast on MacOS, it runs much much better using Crossover for Mac https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-mac which is a bit of a monetary investment, but it's a surefire way to run it.
If it works on Crossover, there's a good chance it should work on playonmac too[1], which is free.

Though it's better to use crossover because it directly finances the WINE project. But if the money isn't there, PlayOnMac might be an alternative.

[1] https://www.playonmac.com
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 07-16-2017, 04:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hi Ana

Yes, I love getting bug reports and do intend on supporting the big three platforms (and ARM in the future)
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 07-18-2017, 04:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Mood:
Thanks all for your replies. I'll definitely take a look. I admit I've been a bit anxious about this. But I've got a bit too much time on my hands, lol!