SLUniverse Forums - View Single Post - Curious: Did Nixon Have Rabid Supporters?
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 03:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Soda Sullivan
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Yes. There were quite a few Nixon fans. You have to remember that, despite ALL the protests and riots, he managed to get re-elected in a landslide victory. He was elected with the largest plurality of votes in American history. This was after news of the Nixon's famous 'enemies List", and Watergate break in with connection to the oval office had been published in June prior to the election. If you want some good reading on this era, check out Hunter Thompson's "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail" WIthout Nixon, there would never have been President Donald Trump.

The main difference between now and then was that his support quickly died out once the watergate hearings started. My sister often recalls her school keeping the TV on all day so the kids could watch the hearings. They were carried live on all three major networks at the time. Today, you barely can get them covered by any networks. These we not impeachment hearing, these were committee investigations, which news networks barely show today. I guess civics was considered important then.

BTW, if you've never read Thompson's obituary for Nixon, you really should.

Quote:
Nixon's spirit will be with us for the rest of our lives -- whether you're me or Bill Clinton or you or Kurt Cobain or Bishop Tutu or Keith Richards or Amy Fisher or Boris Yeltsin's daughter or your fiancee's 16-year-old beer-drunk brother with his braided goatee and his whole life like a thundercloud out in front of him. This is not a generational thing. You don't even have to know who Richard Nixon was to be a victim of his ugly, Nazi spirit.

He has poisoned our water forever. Nixon will be remembered as a classic case of a smart man shitting in his own nest. But he also shit in our nests, and that was the crime that history will burn on his memory like a brand. By disgracing and degrading the Presidency of the United States, by fleeing the White House like a diseased cur, Richard Nixon broke the heart of the American Dream.

Last edited by Soda Sullivan; 07-17-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed: