SLUniverse Forums - View Single Post - Sodomy Laws: the forgotten anti-gay restriction
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cindy Claveau
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Sodomy Laws: the forgotten anti-gay restriction

I stumbled on this today while researching my own state (Kansas) drinking laws for minors under the age of 21 (you know them - they can vote but they're too young to drink?).

This caught my eye:

Quote:
Sodomy Laws Applicable to Same sex or between person or animal
Essentially, sex between two people of the same gender is legally in the same class as sex between a person and an animal.

(Yes, it's par for my state, where any old excuse to exclude gays, immigrants and non-believers from society is acceptable).

So I started looking at the other states, and was stunned to discover that Kansas isn't all that unusual:

Sodomy laws in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Sodomy laws in the United States, which outlawed a variety of sexual acts, were historically universal. While they often targeted sexual acts between persons of the same sex[citation needed], many statutes employed definitions broad enough to outlaw certain sexual acts between persons of different sexes as well, sometimes even acts between married persons.

Through the 20th century, the gradual liberalization of American sexual mores led to the elimination of sodomy laws in most states. During this time, the Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of Sodomy laws in Bowers v. Hardwick in 1986. However, in 2003 the Supreme Court reversed the decision with Lawrence v. Texas, invalidating sodomy laws in the remaining fourteen states (Alabama, Florida, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, and Virginia).
Look at the chart. All those green checks! Homosexual couples are forbidden from practicing some acts that heterosexual unmarried couples are allowed to perform in Arkansas, Kansas, Kentucky, Missouri, Montana, Tennessee and Texas.

I realize that some folks out there think sex laws are defending our "social morality", but personally I think that's just nonsense. Those same people aren't even blinking at the number of bank CEOs who committed fraud and were never prosecuted after the big bank bailouts. Or at the widespread political corruption in this country. Yes, it's all about sex. Who you screw is more important than who Congress screws?